2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L V6 from North America

Best mid-sized truck ever!

The suspension bushings squeek over bumps.

General Comments:

The powerful, smooth 3.4L V6 is Toyota's best small engine I've ever experienced. Rides very nicely for a pickup truck, however the uncomfortable body roll when turning has caught my attention. The stock stereo sounds excellent; Toyota has come a long way in the "tunes" department. I'm impressed with the trucks capabilities off road, taking everything I could throw it's way without hesitation. The locking rear diff. makes getting stuck impossible.

Review Date: 8th May, 2002

22nd Jul 2002, 21:35

My 4runner has no power with the 3.0,is the 3.4 really that more powerful when hooked to an automatic or should my next Toyota be a standard?

24th Apr 2003, 00:30

If I was you, I would be very cautious with the locking diff. The late model Tacomas seem to have problems with it. The locker in my old Tacoma jammed up, causing the rear end to blow up, and the solenoid that acuates the locker goes out a lot. Ya, the locker is nice, but don't depend on it.

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab SR-5 4x4 3.4 liter V6 from North America

The truck has turned out to be my ideal vehicle

Paint started to chip off of the front bumper. My dealer did not have an in-house body shop, so they sent me to a local shop. I spent many hours on the telephone and driving to different shops. The first place did horrible work. The second place did good work, but painted it the wrong color. I finally demanded a new bumper and threatened the dealer with a lawsuit. I had other dealer related problems also. The dealer gave me a new bumper off of a new truck and paid for half of a tonneau cover to satisfy me. It took a year, but I'm happy now. The bad thing was that they took the old bumper, which was the wrong shade of silver, and placed it onto the new truck for some unsuspecting buyer.

General Comments:

I love the truck. It looks great and handles very well on and off of the road. It has also been very reliable.

Review Date: 25th April, 2002

2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD Double Cab V6 DOHC from North America

High priced, very low in satisfaction.

I didn't notice it until I drove the truck for a few days and then I realized something was wrong. Every time I come to a complete stop a light the transmission will jerk, sometimes violently. I took it to the dealer to get the truck looked at and they claim that it is totally normal. I was in total shock! I paid $27,000 for this truck, and all that they call tell me is that the problem is normal and that it has been happening to Toyota trucks since 1989? I cannot believe the problem with the transmissions has been going on unchanged! Another thing that I noticed is that after I've been running around town. The truck doesn't like to start on the first try. Sometimes it takes at least 3 tries to get a brand knew truck started? All this does not make any sense and I can't wait to sell this thing!

General Comments:

This truck looks great, but it runs and operates horribly.

Review Date: 24th April, 2002

8th Jun 2002, 22:06

Did you even bother to check with another service department? I have own a 2002 model and this is the best truck I have purchased! I also purchased a 1998 PreRunner when they first came out.

I have NEVER experienced the issue which you describe. I suggest you take your vehicle to another dealer.

I have to say - I think your review is way to short. You have not covered the vehicle and your problem is something which has NOT plagued Toyota trucks... I speak from experience.

2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7 from North America

The absolute best small truck that money can buy

No problems have been noticed to date (I don't really expect to find anything in the future, no matter how hard I look).

General Comments:

This is my 4th Toyota Tacoma (the 3rd 4x4). These are definitely the most reliable and rugged small trucks in the world.

I have driven them in snow, mud, and many, many miles on interstate highways in the southern region of the USA. I have yet to find a single area in which any other small truck is even comparable.

The steering and handling are tight and responsive. The suspension soaks up bumps and irregularities like a sponge. The length of suspension travel is outstanding, it will not bottom even when loaded.

The 2.7 liter 4 cylinder is strong as an ox when mated to the manual transmission. I would stay away from the automatic with the 4cyl if the truck has the large tire package installed. If you plan on using the 15 inch tires that come standard, it's fine to go with the auto.

Review Date: 31st October, 2001

27th Jan 2002, 19:18

Just wondering why is it bad to get an automatic with a 4x4 and large tires.. is there some problem with that..?? thanks.

16th Sep 2002, 19:14

Steve, If you have a 4cyl;auto;& big tires, the automatic will take more power away from the 4cyl. than the 6cyl. And the big tires also needs more power than smaller tires. The best options is 4cyl. stick & big tires or 6cyl. auto.& big tires.

7th Oct 2002, 21:13

Hi- I bought a 99 tacoma with the 2.7 automatic. I understand what your saying about the larger tires. I would though like to put on a bit of a larger tire with new wheels. What would you recommend as the biggest tire or wheel I could use and still have the power I need?

26th Apr 2003, 15:20

Mine is a 2001 Tacoma ext. cab 4x4 SR5 2.7 4 cyl Automatic with 16" tires and I have no lose of power at all. The tires are LT 265/75/R16. I live in the middle of the mountains in WV and I'm up and down these mountains all day long with no problem at all. Love this truck! Mike.