2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4X4 V-6 TRD V-6 from North America

Summary:

See ya off road!

Nothing.

General Comments:

This truck is not a 'toy'.

This is a serious off-road, on-road, truck! 200,000 miles from an American truck? Try and find a Toyota truck with a rebuilt tranny and/or rebuilt engine. Not even with 200,000 miles.

Review Date: 24th September, 2001

26th Nov 2001, 03:45

Yup, you are correct about TRD package. It's great. One thing I do hate is the lack of thigh seat support on long driving trips. I will upgrade the seats.

Wes----Phx, AZ.

5th Sep 2002, 14:08

First off I have owned Toyota Trucks all my life. However I beg to differ with any comment about the Tacoma being a tough truck. Sure it's advertised as a tough truck and I purchased what I thought was a tough truck. Long story short my 2002 Toyota Tacoma V6 all the goodies blew a rod after one dip in 10 inches of water. Maybe this is just a problem with my truck, but the air intake is a straight shot with no turns, no dips, and no screen to slow down the water. Faulty engineering seems to be the cause of this problem. Overall I like the truck and would buy another if they fix that minor problem witch caused a major one.

-Smith.

28th Apr 2003, 17:53

I have a 2000 Tacoma TRD 4x4 which had the exact same problem. I went through a road puddle 6"+ after a rain on on an asphalt road and water splashed up into the intake and was sucked up to the engine, which caused a hydro lock and threw a rod through the block. I thought I was buying a 4 x 4, 'off-road', tough vehicle as well, but obviously there is a manufacturer's defect here.

Unhappy Camper.

18th Dec 2003, 07:00

The older ones were built better (1989-1995). I have run through at least 18" of water several times and never have had a problem. The truck is an 89 with 136000 on the odometer and I have never had one problem with it!!

John.

4th Feb 2004, 10:01

I own a 1997 Toyota Tacoma. I have ran the truck through water holes that would sink the head lights. I did stall the truck, but that has only happen one time. I had to pull the truck out and change the oil a few times I used a engine cleaner to remove any water. I have been across the country and back. I also have 116000 miles and still beaten trees and any thing else in the way. I think.

10th Jun 2009, 11:23

I am working on a Toyota that has 250,000 miles on it. The engine was rebuilt at 230,000 and the customer went through a puddle and threw a rod. I've pulled Chevy motors out of a lake, changed the fluids and drove them for 100,000. So, to make this Toy into a real truck, I will be putting a 350 in it. 325 hp/ 370 ft lb of torque.

2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Love the truck, I know it will last a long time!!

Nothing has gone wrong with the truck yet. Overall I'm very happy with the truck.

General Comments:

Would be nice if Toyota made a standard cab with a V-6 still. The 2.7 has enough power to get you where you're going, but sometimes takes a while to get up to speed (entering the highway). Very smooth & solid ride.

Side mirrors don't fold, this is kind of a pain since I don't have a lot of space in my garage in between my trucks. In return though you get adjustable mirrors, which can be adjusted from inside the truck, nice trade I suppose.

Crappy Sales Dept. at the dealership. If you decide to purchase, make sure you look over with a fine tooth comb, keep an eye out for touch-up paint on the wheels, and additional costs added to the total (engraved glass, etc..). They snuck both of these by me.

Review Date: 14th August, 2001

2001 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab 4X4 3.4 from North America

Summary:

Expensive reliable truck?

I have not really tested out the truck yet, still in the break in period.

I would like to note that the transmission clunks when moving foward to reverse and visa versa.

It's not like my Honda's turning radius.

I would like to speak to the idiot who put the digital clock in this truck, it's behind the steering wheel and behind the wiper switch. You have to be a passenger to look at the clock.

General Comments:

Toyota builds a good truck, I chose this over the Nissan because of the long life. I hope to drive this to 300k+, there are some things they were cheap on, but the Frontier was cheaper. I hope there are fixes from Toyota for my truck.

Review Date: 1st June, 2001

18th Aug 2001, 05:42

Just remember that you have gotten out one of the smoothest cars in history into a truck... there is a difference, but this truck is one of the most reliable in history too. Just remember you have a HUGE powertrain warranty, and the Company stands behind every vehicle they sell. I LOVE MY TACOMA!!

6th Jul 2004, 11:59

I could not agree more with the comment about the digital clock. Why would you put the clock where it can't be seen?

Regardless, everything else is solidly built and so far, in the 530 miles of ownership, I love it.

I have owned 2 4Runners in the past and trust Toyotas product. They're not indestructable, but they are well built, solid, and will last a long, long time if they are taken care of.