1998 Vauxhall Omega CDX 2.5 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Vastly underestimated luxury car

Has had 2 rocker cover gasket leaks.

General Comments:

Really smooth and excellent car.

Nicer to drive than my previous Mercedes.

Definitely a motorway car as around town fuel consumption is harsh.

Car has been ultra reliable, once did over 700 miles in a day and still felt reasonably refreshed at the journeys end.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2008

18th Jan 2013, 08:26

I have an Omega 2.5 V6. Driver's seat will not get hot. Can anybody help?

Eric Fisher

1998 Vauxhall Omega GLS 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Don't buy unless you can afford £1500 a year repair cost

Air con compressor replaced.

Had to have the engine re manufactured after 85000 miles due to piston melting.

87000 miles, catalytic converter went, as did the idle valve.

90000 miles replaced front discs and pads.

91000 miles crank sensor went, stating to get more than a bit worried.

95000 - upper front suspensions arms gone.

100000 - steering idle arm faulty.

102000 - both rear coil springs broken.

103000 - Head gasket!!! Outside warranty on engine, company then repaired at cost.

+++multitude of other bits and pieces.

General Comments:

Okay, I am a Vauxhall man through and through. I have had Victor's/Carlton's/Omegas. This one has to be the worse dog that I have ever owned. I stupidly thought that if you fixed the mechanical stuff, you would get some trouble free motoring, how wrong was I. I can only say that the general engineering and design was not very good. Yep, when the car is running OK, it is great to drive, but I do not get a clear month without something. So now I am giving up because this car has almost bankrupt me!

Review Date: 1st August, 2006

2nd Aug 2006, 05:10

I like the look of the Omega, but I was instantly put off when one of the directors at work got one as a company car in 2001. It was a fully loaded 2.5 CDX auto in metallic burgundy and it looked lovely.

It was however the only car I remember the company "outing" after a year because of the atrocious reliability. It had constant engine management and fuel injection problems, left him at the side of the road three times in the first month and the central locking never worked properly from day one. The final straw was head gasket failure at 9 months at 19,000 miles.

Such as shame because it looked like a well specced and well made car.

4th Aug 2006, 10:54

I've had 2 Omegas, both 2.5's, and both totally 100% reliable and trouble free. Granted I've not notched up more than 80k miles in either, but they served me very well, and I always found the servicing efficient and cheap.

18th Apr 2013, 13:30

I have had Victors, Carltons, Omegas and now an Insignia. The Omega is by far the best Vauxhall ever made; wish I had kept mine. 9 years and not a single fault.

1998 Vauxhall Omega Tourer GLS 2.0 16v petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A superb beast with comfort and reliability

Crank sensor was faulty when I bought the car.

Repair was expensive at the main dealership.

No other problems (fingers crossed).

Sailed through MOT's.

Only routine servicing carried out (at main dealership)... EXPENSIVE.

General Comments:

A sheer pleasure to drive in luxury.

I am not a boy-racer and if driven with consideration this car will get you from A to B in comfort and reasonable expense.

Achieving 30+ mpg is easy.

The load carrying capacity is phenomenal!... yes... No wonder the police loved it for motorway duties.

I have added cruise control and kerb sensing (quite easy to do and not expensive)

Review Date: 17th July, 2006

1998 Vauxhall Omega CDX 2.5 V6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Good reliable car

Slight rust bubbles around doors.

General Comments:

Brilliant, but I would say service it regularly as I have and enjoy many miles of sound motoring.

Parts have been replaced on my car, but dealer has always replaced parts before failure upto now, thus keeping my repair bills down. Total spent on car including services in 6 years,£3700,not bad considering I average 200 miles a week.

Review Date: 1st April, 2006