1998 Volvo V70 Reviews - Page 5 of 8

Engine and transmission 2.3 turbo Automatic
Distance when acquired152000 kilometres
Most recent distance282000 kilometres
Previous carVolvo 240

Summary:

Excellent

Right front wheel bearing at 200,000km

Left front wheel bearing at 220,000km

Power Steering pump and rack as 240,000km

Breaks at 150,000km and again at 250,000km.

General Comments:

This car is as good as the 1990 240 I purchased new and drove for 402,000km.

Very reliable, comfortable and a pleasure to drive, but needs snow tires to perform excellent in winter.

The sound system is Alpine and with the 8 speakers is aw-some.

I purchased this car used 3 years ago and currently I have 282,000km and expect to see the 400,000km before I replace it. At 50,000 a year this should not take too long.

Review Date: 11th February, 2008

1998 Volvo V70 R 2.3 turbo from North America

Model year1998
Year of manufacture1998
Engine and transmission 2.3 turbo Automatic
Previous carVolvo 240

Summary:

I'm hating this car

Rear viscous coupling.

Front CV joint (twice within a few 1,000 miles).

Rear Brakes (twice - second time after 5600 miles).

ABS module.

Transmission replaced at 109,000 miles.

Driver's door hinge welded.

Front wheel bearings.

Service light in on again.

Solenoid.

New tires (all 4 since it's AWD).

Gas gauge got stuck in 103 degree heat (took $200, a tow, and a night in a hotel to find that out).

General Comments:

I am living with a diva. This car is sucking my pocket books dry. I have had it for only 17,000 miles (for about 2 years this April) and I've put an additional $5000 into it. It's all the stuff connected with the AWD. I owned a '77 245DL and '93 240. This V70 series just seems overall to suck. I have never had so many problems with a Volvo. I've only owned Volvo wagons since 1992, but this has been the "wonder car". Like I wonder what will light up on my dash next?! And that's about every 2,000 miles.

If you want a Volvo, don't buy a V70 (from the other reviews I've read I'm not the only one struggling with their V70 model). You'll put in a lot more to keep it running than their worth. I'd love to have my 240 with over 200,000 miles (when I sold it), back. It even had the name Babahloo.

Something went wrong in 1998 when Volvo changed their line. I'm grateful to have a very kind and fair Volvo mechanic, so I don't have to go to the dealer.

However, here are the perks. It's a great ride, zooms to action when you need to, like when you merge at 75 mph. from the on ramp. The V70R is a low rider, but you sit up high in the car. There's a built in child's seat, netting, easy drop down seats. We love it for our camping trips. Winter mode is great for our snowy days (in Colorado). But I would not recommend this for anything, but a "town car". The blizzard reeked havoc on my bearings. The suede/leather seats clean up easily, and the third row seats are great for extra kids.

Take your chances. I'm in it for the long haul with all the work I've put into it. I'll give it to my son (who's 6) when he turns 16; by then it may be a whole new car with all my repairs.

Review Date: 7th February, 2008

8th Feb 2008, 08:30

You do seem to have summed it up. The V70 is a great vehicle - but only in 2WD guise. That's probably why so many V70's in the USA have negative views; they are mostly AWD. Here in the UK, the V70 has great reviews and loved by many - but here, they are mainly 2WD models. It's a shame as otherwise they give few problems.

15th Jul 2008, 00:23

My '97 V70R rules. Bought in Australia in '05 in Perth with 184,000 Km it still resides in Australia now on the east coast, Gosford, NSW. It has given my little to no trouble even with the heavy miles on it. The front strut seats have failed and the motor mount in front of me the driver on the right-hand side has also failed as well as the top one now that it's been flexing about due to the lower one. But it's fast and its interior is nice but the right rear door speaker has blown :-( But it's dependable as bloody hall. Still goes really well, and it beats a few Holdens every now and then. I love the sucker. It's awesome. No oil consumption either!

Mr. Lecky.

18th Sep 2010, 19:44

1998 Volvo V70 AWD 252,000 miles and still going: Great car! The repairs aren't cheap, but it's a great ride.