2002 Acura TL S 3.2 from North America

Summary:

Buyer beware!

Transmission failed twice. First replaced free under warranty after 30,000 miles. Now this one failed after 73,000 miles. American Honda will not assist with the 5,000 cost for a re-manufactured unit. Bad transmissions are a defect well known to Honda, and they should have done something to defray the expense this time. Repair cost is more than the car is worth.

Bottom line, Honda was not willing to help out towards the cost of a defective transmission. Next car will not be a Honda or Acura! Shame on them.

General Comments:

Good handling, nice engine, but a bad defective transmission ruined my experience with Acura.

Review Date: 25th August, 2015

25th Aug 2015, 15:09

I sense you don't need to go to the dealer to replace that transmission. You might find a private shop that can do the work at a lot cheaper price. But you will have to research on why the 3rd gear clutch pack failed on those newly designed 5 speed transmissions, and what improvements were made later to correct the failure on them. The private shop will have to be familiar with that transmission and the updates to it. Using non-updated parts could result in the same outcome. Also salvage yards have many newer crashed Acura TLs with the updated clutch pack in them. You might ask the shop if the newer updated transmissions will fit in your older TL.

2002 Acura TL Type-S 3.2 V6 from North America

Summary:

This is an AMAZING car. It's just sad that they're not built in Japan where quality is still a given

Transmission needed replaced.

General Comments:

We bought our TL for $2000, knowing that the transmission had to be replaced. We found a used transmission for $1200 (shipping included) with about 80,000 miles on it. Our friend is installing it for $350. The previous owners took extremely good care of the car, no rust, all maintenance records (done at Acura or Honda dealers), the interior is absolutely pristine.

With respect to the transmission problems, I don't blame Honda, the problem is that this car is built in Marysville, Ohio. Had the car been built in Japan, I believe there would be no issues whatsoever. Sad to say, but "American quality" with respect to cars is so ridiculously low that it's pathetic - so pathetic the Government had to rescue Detroit from self destruction. I would love to see Honda close up shop in Ohio, and have their cars made in Japan, where quality is still a given, unlike American auto workers.

Review Date: 18th April, 2012

26th Aug 2015, 01:29

The worst financial loss of any car I ever owned purchased new. Have owned at least 2 dozen new cars. People rave about Honda and this is the upscale version under Acura. What a beating! 10 grand sell price only 3 years later. I had the Type S, all black in and out. Live and learn. This was worse than Mercedes we have owned.

2002 Acura TL Type S 3.2 from North America

Summary:

If the transmission was reliable, it would be a great car

I bought this Acura TL used in very good condition.

The transmission had recently been serviced.

At 160,000 miles, the transmission started slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear.

RPMs revving like it was not in gear at all.

Otherwise, the car has been comfortable and reliable so far.

General Comments:

The car is very comfortable.

The defrost system does not seem to be adequate in very cold climates.

Review Date: 29th December, 2010

30th Dec 2010, 15:17

You are lucky the car even made it to 160k, check out other reviews on the site.

My girlfriends 2004 Accord has been sitting in the driveway for about a month now, the transmission won't shift and we cannot afford a new one for a few months at least as money is tight. She is driving an old Geo Metro we got for $500 until we can save up the $3000 for the new tranny.

We are hoping to get it fixed and sell it, no more Honda's for us!