2002 Acura TL Type S SOHC 24-valve 3.2 Liter V6 w/SMFI* from North America

Summary:

Due to the transmission problem and the way it's handled, I feel disappointed with Honda

I had been driving the car nicely, no rapid acceleration, no quick braking. Mainly used to go back and forth between home and work place on a local highway, and the transmission broke down at below 70000 miles. And the dealer wanted to charge me $3369 to replace it. I didn't feel that's fair because it was just couple of months out of the extended warranty.

So I called Honda to ask them to cover the replacement. I told them that I shouldn't be penalized for driving the car nicely. And they should stand behind their product, especially on the well known faulty transmissions. And they seemed reluctant to do anything, sounded like I had to beg them to cover it. Several days later, they called me back and offer a discount on the replacement. I ended up paying $2530.81.

General Comments:

Transmission is the biggest problem so far.

Had a couple of problems with the CD player.

Noticed some problem with the ignition too, took so long to light the engine sometimes.

Had to put in the activation code more than 70 times to get the radio going again after the battery change.

And some rubbing noise from the bottom of the car every morning when I put it in reverse and drive out of my drive way. I went back to talk to the dealer regarding that noise not long after I bought the car, and they said it's normal. And I have been living with it ever since.

There are definitely some minor issues with the car. But I think Honda should handle more seriously on the major components like the transmission. As a customer, I don't feel like I have to spend $2530 to do a major repair on a car that I take care of nicely in under 70000 miles.

Review Date: 7th August, 2009

8th Aug 2009, 20:13

Acura TL Type S were made in 2002 and 2003. NOT 2001.

2002 Acura TL S 3.2 from North America

Summary:

Drives nicely, though trunk space is limited

Transmission failed at 79,000 miles.. repeated slips when shifting, sudden jerking when going into reverse. We are replacing the transmission and two motor mounts (worn out, they say... don't know if it is a related failure).

We've had it serviced regularly by the dealer since we bought it, most recently the 75 K service. Never had serious mechanical issues with it before.

General Comments:

Acura has known about transmission problems with this model for a long time. In fact, they offered an extended warranty, sent to owners in 2002, which expired 5 months ago!!

We never received a notice of the extended warranty. We bought it 2004 (when it had 40 K miles). But we bought it from an Acura dealer! They should have informed us about the extended warranty. I don't know if they are obliged to do so - it would have turned on a warning light in my mind about transmission problems to come.

Acura has offered some "goodwill assistance", splitting the transmission repair, so the repair (including the two motor mounts) will cost me $2240 plus tax.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2009

30th Aug 2015, 02:57

The rough shifts of the transmission destroy the motor mounts. Been there, done that.

2002 Acura TL 2.3 from North America

Summary:

Don't ever buy one!

I also have a 2002 TLS Acura and had to have the transmission replaced at 47000 miles.

I now have 127000 miles and the transmission is starting to slip again. Called the dealership and asked about a replacement, and was told yeah if I pay for it. We will only replace one, and besides I have already received the updated version. Told him yeah well updated version has same problem as old version. He was sorry but nothing he could do.

Told him I will never ever purchase another Honda product.

Review Date: 31st July, 2009

1st Aug 2009, 20:31

Sorry about your transmission luck. You failed to mention if you had an Acura dealer service the transmission at 77,000 and again at 107,000 miles (every 30,000). If your transmission was replaced/repaired by Acura after March 2005, yes you received the updated version. Some transmissions build prior to March 2005 are reported to have had bad material in third gear clutches that flaked off, clogging screens and limiting fluid circulation, thus causing overheating/slippage. Some private transmission shops will rebuild for around $2,500 if you choose to rebuild again.