2002 Acura TL S 3.2 from North America

Transmission is starting to act up again. Some jerks and whining noise in lower gears seems more noticeable.

Tranny had been replaced apparently around 91K kilometres according to Acura Canada. I have, and members of my family, have owned Honda products for many years and this is the first time I have been concerned about unusual reliability.

Around 205,000 k I had noticed some slippage and jerky up-shifts, so I replaced the tranny fluid with a 3x drain and fill method. There is now 226,000 K on it. The car is in great shape in and out, and I would like to continue to drive it for many more miles. I wish I had researched these forums more before I bought this vehicle, and I likely would have opted for an 03 CL-S with the manual transmission, but I drive my elderly folks around a fair bit so the two door would have been an inconvenience.

I'm concerned now that it may fail at highway speed and cause much worse problems. I do not drive the car hard, nor do I use the SS mode. Previous owner was mature driver as well, so these issues are NOT related to driver abuse.

General Comments:

Love the car, extremely worried about the transmission failing though.

Review Date: 27th May, 2009

2002 Acura TL 3.2 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Luxury car that is reliable until hitting 100k miles

Car will not go into gear after starting.

Door handles coming apart.

Headlight blew. Only takes a HID bulb which is extremely expensive.

Center console will not stay down.

General Comments:

I own a 2002 Acura 3.2 TL with a NAV. I have had an Acura/Honda since I started driving. I had no serious problems with my Civic but my Acura. It is running at about 98K miles and just started falling apart (which, I THOUGHT, was uncommon for Acuras).

My car will start, but when I go to put it into gear it takes me, sometimes, up to ten minutes to get it to go. I don't know if this is a transmission problem, but after reading all of these comments I'm starting to believe it is exactly that. Bummer.

Little things inside the car are starting to break. The center console, coin holder, door handles, and air vents on dashboard. I love Acura so this is very disappointing! My headlight also blew out and its going to cost me $200 to replace! That's just the bulb too. Who knows what they'll charge for labor?

Anyway, I do love my car just a little bummed out and would appreciate any suggestions. I guess I should take it over to the dealership but I'm almost scared because I feel they always find a way to rob you blind.

Hope someone has some advice. Thanks!!

Jaclyn.

Review Date: 7th December, 2008

8th Dec 2008, 06:56

Find a good local mechanic and have them work on your vehicle. Avoid the dealership when it comes to a 100K car - you will get hosed.

24th Feb 2009, 13:20

I have a 2001 3.2TL with over 100k and she runs like the first day I got her but I keep up with mine.

9th Jan 2010, 20:07

I own a 2002 Acura TL that has had transmission problems. I bought it from my best friend who has had the transmission rebuilt, and even after that he still had problems. There was eventually a titanium clutch installed; it's been doing pretty good so far. So keep your fingers crossed.

6th Apr 2010, 12:07

I own a 2002 Acura ...I would not recommend this car to anyone. It has given me more problems than a lil bit. The transmission on the year & model is absolutely TERRIBLE.

My Acura dealership does not want to comply with the recalls. The manufacturer acts like they don't know what is going on. It is VERY clear that this should have been a nation wide recall on these vehicles.