1985 Buick LeSabre Reviews - Page 11 of 12

1985 Buick LeSabre Collectors 5.0 from North America

First year of ownership1996
Previous carChevrolet Monte Carlo

Summary:

Absolutely Fabulous

Not much mechanically.

Seats have worn down a bit.

Has been re-painted.

General Comments:

This is an excellent car and if I was back in the time that I bought it with a better deal facing me, I would still take this Buick!

Review Date: 6th July, 2002

1985 Buick LeSabre Limited Edition 305 V8 from North America

First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 305 V8 Automatic
Previous carCadillac Seville

Summary:

Seventeen years old and still going strong

I've had all the GM cars, but this car sold me on Buick.

It's had its problems. The tranny went at 100,000 miles, but that's not a bad run.

Everything else like exhaust system, carburetor, springs, shocks, was also replaced, but that's just maintenance on a car this old.

Overall, it's still a reliable car that's hard to part with. It has a way of growing on you.

If the new Buicks are better than these, then they're some good cars. Too bad you have to wait till 2019 to find out.

General Comments:

The paint job is still glossy.

The interior is sturdy and shows no wear.

The motor proved to be a motor that stands the test of time. You just can't kill it.

Review Date: 20th April, 2002

1985 Buick LeSabre Limited Collectors' Edition 307 V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 307 V8 Automatic
Previous carBuick LeSabre

Summary:

Excellent road machine

General Comments:

Just bought a 1985 LeSabre Limited Collectors' Edition. It's the third '77-'85 Buick LeSabre version I have owned. I bought the '77 new and got 127,000 miles out of it. I foolishly got rid of it when I saw a deal on a used '84 with only 25,000 miles. I still have the '84. It now has 249,700 miles on it. Still runs great. Had the engine rebuilt at 168,000 & been through 3 or 4 transmissions. Body rust is killing it though.

Just saw an '85 LeSabre Collectors' Edition with (Believe this) 36,100 original miles on it & had to buy it. It is mint, but uses more gas than the '84.

No problems with any of these vehicles. They just don't build em like this anymore. They are safe, sound and reliable if you can handle the poor gas mileage (about 17 MPG overall).

Review Date: 27th February, 2002

18th May 2005, 21:15

Anyone have any idea what the production numbers were of the collectors editions as opposed to regular limiteds? I've looked around a lot of different places, but haven't gotten close to finding an answer?

6th Jul 2005, 12:32

In regards to your question on production numbers on the Collectors Edition vs. the Plain Limited according to customer service at the Buick Corporation only 22,211 were produced in l985.

21st Jun 2006, 15:09

I found information that told me that in 1985 they made around 66,000 4-door Collector's Edition and around 22,000 of the 2-door version. The information did not include figures for individual motor types and features.

1985 Buick LeSabre Limited Collector's Edition 307 ci. gas from North America

First year of ownership1991
Most recent year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 307 ci. gas Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Impala

Summary:

The best car overall that I have ever had the privilege of driving

The transmission failed at 260,000 Km.

Windshield wipers were not always reliable. They should have been replaced.

Air conditioning stopped working at about 200,000 Km.

Auto-reverse on tape deck would stick. I replaced the whole stereo because it was annoying.

General Comments:

This car was very reliable considering how old it was and how badly I abused it.

It was above average for winter driving and it would start at temperatures bellow -40 degrees.

The paint was incredible. It had no rust when I had to get rid of it.

The car was reasonable on gas especially compared to other large cars. I could get 27 miles to the gallon on the highway.

My favorite feature of the car was that it was mediocre at accelerating but once over the speed of 65 MPH it was fast. I have surprised a few Honda Civics and the like with it.

The car was very comfortable and spacious for five people.

I was rear-ended four times (bumper was dented), had two fender benders with it and put it in the ditch while driving too fast and it was only dented slightly.

This car did everything at least reasonably well. It had ample power, comfort, fuel economy (if you behaved) and it looked good. It didn't corner well but it was not sloppy in the handling department. I recently drove a 1997 Buick LeSabre and I would not have traded it for the Buick I had.

If the safety inspection where I live were not so oppressive and if I could have afforded to get it inspected at the time I would still have it today.

Review Date: 18th July, 2001

23rd Dec 2008, 09:44

I have a 1985 Buick Lesabre Collector's Edition and I love it!

The fact that this car is nearly 24 years old and still rides like new is very impressive. People tease me and say that I need to get rid of my "old man" car. I tell them I'd rather have this car than any new car. At times parts need to be replaced, but once that's done, the car more than serves its purpose!

19th Jan 2011, 23:27

I bought a 1985 Buick LeSabre 2-door Collectors edition about 8 months ago. It is all original with 100,000 miles on it.

It is very good shape except for the headliner and front bumper filler. Its 307 Olds runs as new and uses no oil. The valve covers have never been off, or anything else under the hood.

I have a 2007 Malibu that I never drive since I bought the Buick. The car is black with red interior and I love it so much I would never sell it. It gets 25 plus MPG highway and rides like you're on a cloud.

I wish they had never stopped making these cars because it makes all newer cars feel so cheap. If you ever find one for sale I would highly recommend buying it.

20th Jan 2011, 14:10

I used to own a 1985 Buick LeSabre as well. Sold it a while back to buy a truck, but missed it so much I bought a 1981 Pontiac Parisienne to replace it.

These cars are the definition of quality and reliability, nothing on the market today compares in ride quality.

I will always drive a V-8 rear wheel drive Chevy; they make driving a very enjoyable experience.

A lot of my friends have newer cars, but everyone always wants to ride in my land yacht; the soft, luxurious interior makes anyone feel like a VIP!