1985 Buick LeSabre Reviews - Page 10 of 12

First year of ownership1992
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission Olds 307 4bble Automatic
Previous carDodge Dart

Summary:

Big reliable car

Rebuilt engine at 250,000 km due to flooding carburetor, causing a main bearing to prematurely wear out. But I could have continued running the engine indefinitely.

I'm on my third rad and third water pump.

Most of the front suspension parts have been replaced over the years.

Three sets of front rotors and pads.

Replaced original rear brake drums and all rear brake components at 350,000 km.

Rust in floor-board, rear wheel- wells, rocker panels, front door posts and roof.

Vinyl Roof deteriorated and was removed.

Paint started to fade so it was repainted in 2000.

General Comments:

This car spent most of its life in Ontario where they salt the roads every winter. I had the car sprayed with oil every fall so the car is still solid. All the rust spots were small and repairable with new metal and fiberglass. Every mechanic comments on the good condition of my vehicle.

I don't plan on buying a new vehicle any time soon. The V8 engine is running strong and the car handles well with 205/75/R15 's on the front and 235/70/R15's on the back.

I have driven this car from Toronto to Vancouver three times in the winter using Yokohama all season tires. I got caught in a blizzard on I90 somewhere in Minnesota and had to run for twenty miles on a closed highway. Also I've driven all day on pure ice, passing numerous 4X4's in the ditch.

This is an excellent highway cruiser. It will run all day at a hundred miles an hour pulling a trailer. The trunk is huge.

The interior is crushed velvet with fake wood everywhere and chrome which is very cool. Also armrests which fold into the seats and seat-belts for six people. The front bench seats split for a drivers side power seat. It's a very comfortable ride. Everybody says how smooth it runs.

The Olds 307 motor is stock except for a chrome air-cleaner which makes a nice sound when the four-barrel kicks in. It could be more powerful, but the gas mileage isn't too bad for a large car, 18 to 25 mpg if you don't race. It comes equipped with a four speed auto which is very nice, at legal highway speeds the engine sounds like its barely working.

Overall I'm very happy with it.

Review Date: 29th September, 2002

12th Aug 2009, 16:39

I have just bought a 1985 LeSabre Collectors Edition, 85 000 original miles. I am the 2nd owner; it was stored in a garage for the last 10 years.

1985 Buick LeSabre Limited Edition Oldsmobile 307-5.0-V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1985
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission Oldsmobile 307-5.0-V8 Automatic
Previous carDodge Ram Van

Summary:

The Best Car EVER!!!

The vehicle was leaking oil badly at the valve covers.

The gas tank drips when filled more than a quarter of a tank.

The water control valve broke off while replacing valve cover gaskets.

All of the vacuum lines need to be re-done.

The parking brake line snapped when I checked to see if it still worked.

Needs a tune up badly.

General Comments:

I really lucked out on this car. I only paid $250.00 for it.

The body is in fabulous shape for being a vehicle that has been driven in Ohio's wet and salty road conditions during the winter.

The interior is like new, aside from the wear on the carpet. The seat are comfortable unlike any other car. Even better than a Cadillac. The car has never been smoked in, and was owned by a man that wears a suit every where he goes.

The previous owner put almost $2,000 into the vehicle before he sold it to me.

If you want a very comfortable car, this car is the one you've been looking for. It floats like it's on a cloud. Especially since it has new shocks and springs.

My father owned an 1986 Le Sabre, And I fell in love with it. It was the most reliable car that he has ever had. He also owned a 1987 Cadillac at the same time and personally I thought that the Buick was 50 times better.

So far I've only driven the about 6 miles, but I think its going to be a keeper. And I've only put about $50 into repairs, and I did them myself.

Review Date: 30th August, 2002