19th May 2010, 04:11

This comment is for "2nd May 2010, 19:19 My son has a 97 Blazer. Let it run out of gas"

Good chance running it dry burned out the fuel pump. When he turns the ignition to ON, does the pump kick in? If not, that is probably what the problem is, once he gets it fixed, tell him not to let his gas take get below 1/4 tank. That way it won't happen again.

I've had my 97 Blazer for 3 years now, and haven't had to change the fuel pump yet because I always fill up at 1/4 tank.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

26th Nov 2010, 07:26

I have a 97 Blazer with 197k that I've had for 5 years. It's never left me on the side of the road. I'm a stickler about maintenance. Always change only at 2000 miles, and lube it the same time. It get a coolant flush every fall (Aug) and a bath once a week.

Instead of having a loan payment, I save $300 a month to act like a loan payment. That way I have extra money for repairs. Been doing that since I've owned it.

I love my ride... Looks good and drives smooth. I get about 17mpg with it, and can tow a large trailer.

Most expensive repair I've done was intake gaskets. More time than money.

Keep it clean and lubed, and they'll go forever.

18th Mar 2011, 20:50

Pretty well all of your complaints are very common for this vehicle. But you have to remember, it is a 1997, and not a 2007.

The rear wiper has a problem with the shaft that sticks thru the tail gate; it seizes up. This can be fixed by taking the wiper motor transmission box apart, and knocking the shaft out and lubricating it. The front wiper is a pulse board problem. It's on the wiper motor beside the brake booster. The part is about $30, and is held in with 3 screws; a very easy fix.

Now for the easiest fix. The most common reason why the interior lights will not go of is because the switch on the ceiling by the rear hatch, the one for your cargo light, has been flipped to the on position. Just turn it off, and voila, it's fixed. Don't feel bad as this one can fool the best, and we all feel stupid after trying to hunt down the problem, only to find that the cargo light was left on.

27th Apr 2011, 15:19

Hi, actually as long as you get a 96 Tahoe or older, you will be OK. If not, your V6 puts out 190-195hp, and the 95 Tahoe came really underpowered at 200hp. In 96 they were outfitted with a Vortec V8 with an output of 250+, so I would really make sure you don't go older than a 1995.

Good Luck.

7th Oct 2011, 02:47

I have a 97 S-10 Blazer 2wd. It now has 172,000 miles, and I have only done minor repairs and upkeep. I love this thing.

14th Dec 2011, 23:49

I have a 95 Chevy Blazer LS, and I've had it for years, and always took care of it. Then I gave it to my sister, she had it for 7 years, and now I have it again, and boy did she do a number on it, so now I'm paying a good chunk for a lot of parts.

To me, it's just how you take care of your Blazer. It has more than 200k, and still goes out of town.

27th Dec 2011, 21:24

I have had to pull the fuse on my '97 Blazer at 150,000 miles also. NOT from rear cargo light on. Sometimes it'll go off. It's the door hinge. I'm on my third one, door hinge that is. If the door opens ALL the way, like if you have to hold it with your foot, or on hill, or to keep the wind from slamming your leg, it no longer lines up. I've spent SO many nights getting in and out in the dark.

I wound up in a traffic stop, 40 cops, LINES of cars, checking EVERYTHING. When he asked me to blow the horn, I told him I had to pull the fuse. He said oh, a Blazer. Get it fixed. Then laughed.

I've replaced the fuel pump, water pump, the spare FELL OFF from under the truck. Thank god in a parking lot.

Have had it not start, and couldn't get it out of the sloped driveway, because it will not go in reverse, and the key wouldn't come out.

Overheated when the water pump went, had to replace the radiator from that, and now the trans is slipping. With only 150,000. Am wondering if keeping it is worth it?

10th Feb 2012, 19:59

Sounds like your heater core is starting to go out. Which most vehicles, you have to take the dash completely out of the vehicle to access the heater core. Depending on what vehicle you're working on, a new heater core can range from $50 to $100.

2nd Mar 2012, 20:39

It's not Chevy, it's the people that own them and not take care of them. Hell, I have a 97 Chevy Blazer with 242.000 miles on it, and nothing wrong. It runs like a champ, and it has a V6 Vortec.

3rd Mar 2012, 08:35

I love my 97 Chevy Blazer. Just need a transmission.

3rd Mar 2012, 09:33

Oh yeah, blame the owner, not the vehicle...

12th Mar 2012, 19:51

My front and rear hatch buttons don't work, my back up lights don't work, and my stick shift is stuck in Park. Can't get my transmission into gear.. What do I do to fix this??? Does anybody know? Please help if you can.. Thanks.

30th Jun 2013, 18:43

I have a 97 Jimmy, and found when wipers start giving problems, most the time it's an easier fix than you may think. I replaced the module on the motors, front wipers and back, for under $20 each, problem solved. Took about 15 minutes to do each. Too many times everyone assumes a bad wiper motor, which is way more expensive to change.