2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2.4 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

Reliable and cheap

Most reliable car I ever had.

The 2.4 engine had OK power in the 5 speed.

Good steering response.

Definitely nothing luxurious about it. It sounds like a jet plane on the highway, but I was looking for cheap, reliable ride, exactly what it was.

Recommend it to anybody who just needs a commuter.

Review Date: 28th November, 2011

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier from North America

Previous carHyundai Elantra

Summary:

There are better choices for cars. My experience has been a bad one

Interior plastic started cracking.

The car had a premature death at 89,000. The mechanics told me the car had a crack on the engine/coolant area, and told me to take it to a junk shop.

General Comments:

Performance was okay for a teenager's car. Bought the car for $3k at 75,000, and rode it around for a year until it died the next year, around 89,000.

I liked the car because it was roomy, and the MPG I got on the car wasn't bad (around 23~27mpg).. until suddenly it broke down one day.

Review Date: 5th August, 2011

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2.4L from North America

Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 2.4L Automatic
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

It's a piece of garbage

Head gasket blew at 110k. This car is very unreliable, do not buy this car ever...

General Comments:

This car does not have any quality. It is cheaply made. I did all the maintenance meticulously, but still the car failed. Do not buy this car and this car manufacturer.

Review Date: 2nd February, 2010

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2 from North America

Most recent distance200000 miles
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

I love my Cavalier

Changed motor in my car. After that I have had the following lights coming on: theft system, air bag, service, check gauges. Also my heater isn't running correctly.

I also have the issue with things going dim on me when I have all of them working at once. The wipers on it are also moving slowly. With checked gauges, all my needles will go up and down. I have checked to make sure all the wiring in the car was properly in place. Made sure nothing was loose. Checked relays and fuses. Still I am not able to know what is going on. Just confused.

Love my car to death. I had over 200,000 on the last motor. Got this motor at 66,000. Also used the same wiring harness on this motor from the last motor, because they cut the air bag wires and two other wires, and didn't want to start tracing them back.

General Comments:

I love my Cavalier. Yes, you can get a bad one, but overall I only paid $500, and just paid another $350 for a motor, and had it for 3 years.

It handles great on the road, and I do put a lot of hard miles on my cars.

As for putting money in the car; only general maintenance. Only other thing replaced was the wheel bearings.

Review Date: 4th January, 2010

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Base 2.2 OHV from North America

First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 2.2 OHV Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Corsica

Summary:

Decent used car, but not perfect

I got this car in April 2009 as a back up car for my 94 Corsica. I finally sold the Corsica. This car sat unused for the most part for eight months.

Upon use, I discovered some problems. The front suspension and brakes seem to need work... lots of popping noise. Not CV joints.. ball joints/bushings? The dome light comes on while driving for no apparent reason. The dash plastic near the windshield has like nine cracks in it! The headrests are loose and floppy.

It does not ride as well as my 94 Corsica that had 184K. It has lots of wind and road noise, but the engine is very smooth and quiet. Gas mileage seems bad so far. Had to replace the transmission cooler lines and radiator hoses.

General Comments:

Not that impressed so far, other than how quiet and smooth the engine is. I do not think it drives as good as my Corsica four cylinder.. same engine... did.

I paid $1100 for it and it was 9 years old. Not a bad deal at that price. Had I bought it new... I would not be so pleased. If it lasts as long as the Corsica, THEN I will be happy!

Review Date: 26th December, 2009

29th Jun 2011, 22:03

Original poster. It is now almost July 2011 and I got it with 118k, now has 143k.

The dome light was a door not being closed tight, never had the issue again. I had to replace the radiator, a small leak and the valve cover gasket.

Gas mileage is 31 MPG average in mixed driving. It has been totally dependable.

The only issue now is the FM went out on my radio. AM still works, FM does too... but it has no volume unless wide open.

13th Oct 2011, 19:07

October 2011 update, 146k miles, had A/C compressor fixed and a Kenwood stereo installed. Still no problems.

29th Jul 2012, 07:19

Original poster. 159k July 2012 and still going strong. No issues to report. Still not using oil between changes. Still gets 27 MPG in mixed driving.

20th Mar 2013, 18:25

March 2013 Update... 167k and the alternator died. Other than that, the only issue has been the air flow from the dash vents was going mostly to the floor ducts. Parked on a hill, and then when I left, it was back to the normal flow pattern again. Still not burning any oil. Been a great car... almost four years and 50k miles on a car I paid $1100 for.

6th Dec 2013, 20:08

Update December 2013, 178k. Had the Michelin tires replaced with WalMart Goodyear Viva 2 tires. Bad choice of tire... loud and goes out of balance often... the Michelins never did.

Otherwise, the valve cover cracked when the mechanic tried to tighten it. It cost $40 for a new one. Otherwise, still going strong, still using no oil, and looks like it will keep on going!

19th Apr 2014, 09:03

Update April 2014, I have now owned this car for five years! The longest I have kept a car.

The tan paint is giving up the ghost. The clearcoat is failing. I got the car with 118k in April 2009 and it now has 183k. Still uses no oil between changes. I paid $1100 for it and thought if it lasted a year I would have gotten my money out of it. I suppose I owe IT money now! No plans to get rid of it any time soon. Hope to get to 218k on it so I can get 100k on an $1100 car!