2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Reviews - Page 6 of 14

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2.4L from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 2.4L Manual
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Cheap car, cheap thrills!

Just like some of the others, my window whistles very loudly when I go 100km/h or higher. Had the window seals re-glued for $50 and so far so good.

Has a delayed response when I drop a gear and floor it. The dealership told me I needed to replace the coil pack at a cost of $750. Which was a crock because I found a used one at an auto wrecker for $150 and installed it myself. This still hasn't solved my delay problem, but it did stop my sputtering problem.

I've put 30,000kms on it and have replaced the spark plugs twice. All of the spark plugs were completely toast.

The windshield wiper arms are absolute crap, the minute you start driving the wipers lift away from the windshield. I even put the really expensive wipers with the wind tunnels for added pressure they still don't touch the windshield.

General Comments:

Other than all those problems, it handles incredibly well. So far its been a cheap car to buy and maintain.

Chevrolet did one thing right by putting the 2.4L engine in it.

I have been able to beat quite a few 5.0L Mustangs and Camaros with it. Quite shocking for a guy in a muscular car, when a girl in a Cavalier can kick his butt. Ha. Ha.

This car also does incredible on gas, I can easily get 650km per tank with city driving.

Review Date: 24th August, 2004

2nd Dec 2004, 06:51

I would like to see the cavalier Z24 that could beat a 5.0L Mustang in any sort of race.

15th Dec 2004, 19:24

Beating a 5.0? 140hp vs. 275hp give or take. Highly doubtful.

9th May 2005, 13:10

First of all I didn't say all 5.0's or Camaro's I said a few.

Second of all if you've watched any kind of racing a front wheel drive car is very capable of taking most rear wheel drive cars off the line. My problem begins when the "more powerful" car gets traction, which seems to be a big problem with a lot of 5.0 owners. They "beef" up their engines, but don't think about modifications to enhance their traction so a lot of them sit at the start line wasting rubber and that's where we "little" car people get an advantage.

Sorry I must point out to you that the stock 5.0L Mustang mid 90's had an actual horsepower rating of 205hp to 225hp not 275hp. Also for a fun learning experience take a trip to your local track and find a modified 2.4L and watch it race. The first time I saw a 2.4L beat a 5.0L was at the track and I was quite shocked. I thought maybe the guy in the 5.0L was just a crappy driver, until we put a chip in and did some timing adjustments. All I can say is WOW!!

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Convertible 2.4 from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

Great performance car for the price

Drivers door actuator failed which caused intermittent locking and unlocking of the door using the key less entry.

Windshield wiper delay began to work intermittently due to a faulty circuit board and windshield wiper motor.

The two lowest speeds on the fan switch failed due to a faulty circuit.

All were fixed at the local Chevrolet dealership in my town. Only the wiper delay circuit was covered in my warranty. However, the warranty did cover a rental car which was great because the dealer had to keep my car for 3 days.

General Comments:

Since I have owned the car, I have made the following upgrades to my car which have only improved gas mileage, handling and the looks. Eibach suspension, Ractive sway bars, 18" rims, performance tires, AEM short ram intake. The car now handles and performs 100% above what it was originally designed to off the assembly line. Stock, the Z24 is a pretty good car for the money, however thank the heavens above for aftermarket performance engineers!!

Review Date: 19th May, 2004