2004 Chevrolet Malibu Reviews - Page 2 of 9

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 3.5 from North America

Year of manufacture2004
Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

Definitely a great buy

Car has been amazing, my only problem was hard cranking with hot engine.

But I happen to go to school for GM, and we just fixed that problem a few minutes ago with a Tech 2 diagnostic tool.

General Comments:

The car is absolutely amazing, I never envisioned myself driving a Malibu until I found the LS model at a dealership, I fell in love with it instantly.

The car has a sleek style to it, she runs like a dream, picks up acceleration amazingly when I switch down into second gear in the manual overdrive.

Gas mileage has been amazing, I went from a gas guzzling 98 Ranger which I got a max of 16mpg on the highway, to a Malibu which reaches over 35mpg.

The comfort of the car is amazing.

There is an amazing amount of leg and head room, a lot of my friends are in the 6'4" area and they can fit in the front seat and back seat with ease.

The controls are easy to understand, but don't look basic.

The factory sound system in this car is phenomenal, to most that is the least of their worry, but driving 40 miles to school every morning at 6am, the loud/clear system really helps to keep me awake.

I recommend this car to anyone seeking a vehicle for commuting, or for families.

The 2004 Malibu is is an all-around amazing car, its mpg is almost that of a Camry, just made with a more badass engine.

Review Date: 22nd September, 2008

2004 Chevrolet Malibu from North America

Year of manufacture2004
Most recent distance72000 miles
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

Chevy needs to accept responsibility for defective axle seals

Electric Power steering (EPS Module) failed. Replaced under warranty.

Malfunctioning lights - Shorted electrical wires. Replaced under warranty.

Right front Strut mount problems at 59,000 miles.

L/F Axle Seal leak at 59,000 miles.

R/F Axle Seal leak at 71,000 miles.

Failed Catalytic Converter at 71,000 miles. Replaced under warranty. Had to pay for faulty Mass Air Flow sensor.

General Comments:

Comfortable ride.

Electric Power Steering is convenient and easy to use.

Good value for money before the repair bills started going up.

Review Date: 9th December, 2007

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 3.5L V6 from North America

Year of manufacture2003
Engine and transmission 3.5L V6 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Malibu

Summary:

A cheaper alternative to the Japanese and just as good

Had ititial problems with power steering. I understand this was an issue for some of the early '04 models, and was all repaired under warranty.

Front struts and brakes replaced at 85000 miles.

Cruise control switch replaced at 90000 miles, but I'm a very heavy user, so this is probably unusual.

General Comments:

This has been a great car. I got it as a replacement company car for my '02 Malibu that I drove for 70000 miles. The '04 new body style is leaps and bounds ahead of the old one. I took a new job at the company that did not come with a car, so I bought this one late last year.

I have changed the oil every 5000 miles and done the other routine service. Other than the above mentioned items, there have been no issues at all. This car is quiet and comfortable, with good visibility. Even with the V6 engine, if I hold my speed to 60 mph I can get 35-37 mpg on the freeway (depending upon if I have to use the A/C).

The interior has held up perfectly and everything still works just like new (power windows & locks, remote lock/unlock, radio, CD, etc). I plan on keeping this car for another 3-4 yrs at least, maybe longer.

Review Date: 20th July, 2007

24th Oct 2009, 16:26

My car now has 140,000 miles on it and still works perfectly, no issues at all. If you do the maintenance and don't drive it like a maniac, new cars will go forever these days, it seems. I've been religious about changing the oil and also did the radiator, transmission and brake fluid at 100k. Had to replace the half shafts on the front axles at 130k and 135k. Car still gets 38 mpg on the freeway at 60 mph with the air running, and there are no leaks or drips underneath when I pull out of the garage.

24th Oct 2009, 22:05

16:26 sounds a lot like me. Keeping up the maintenance and following the owner's manual makes all the difference. I'm also glad to see that you didn't do unnecessary maintenance. My GM owner's manual states "under normal driving conditions the automatic transmission fluid never needs changing". Lot of dealers and shops try to con people into doing it way too early, which can actually HURT your transmission.

I'm also sure that people may take issue with the 38mpg claim. I certainly won't. My brother's big Impala gets 33 at 70 on the interstate with the air on, and my Ford Fusion gets 38 on the interstate with the cruise set on 60. Modern domestics are the best cars in the world.

25th Oct 2009, 07:33

"Modern domestics are the best cars in the world."

Yeah right...

If they are so brilliant, how come the domestic manufacturers are in such dire financial situation? No way I'm going to give my money to car manufacturers that had to be bailed out, domestic manufacturers can f*** right off.