2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6 from North America

Summary:

It sucks

Here is my review of the "Clown Car":

1. Trunk wouldn't open. Had to crawl through the back seat to open trunk. Dealer could not fix.

2. Trunk continues to leak water severely - 2-3 inches in trunk every time it rains. Dealer cannot fix.

3. Alarm periodically goes off on its own. Dealer cannot fix.

4. Trunk opens on its own (even if you can't open it). Dealer has no idea.

5. Various "warnings" on the computer - gas cap open (it is securely on).

6. Gas cap wore out eventually and caused computer to fail. Even with the new gas cap still getting gas cap error!!

7. Suspension needed repair at 45000 miles.

8. Brakes replaced twice in the past year. Total six times since owning car.

9. The radio sets the bass to HIGH for all stations every time you turn the radio on.

10. Emissons check - because of the replacement gas cap, the car has to go through FORTY drive cycles (turn on, warm up) before the computer will reset which poses a problem in NH for your yearly car inspection.

General Comments:

This is why American cars are considered junk. Not only are they faulty when you get them, but they cannot be repaired by the dealer.

Last American car we will own. We have had Chevy's along with Nissan's in the past. The Chevy's have been falling apart.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2007

24th Apr 2007, 06:59

I am sure that the dealership could fix those things, if you paid them enough money via labor time. Brakes are pretty normal to be replaced twice a year on normal pads. I replaced both calipers this year and pads maybe once a year once I got some things fixed. Once the malibu's have all the problems fixed, they are nice cars.

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6 from North America

Summary:

The performance of the car makes up for the rest of its faults

The ball bearings wore out at 28K miles

The front tires wore out at 22K, prior to rotation

The drivers power seat broke and the seat will tilt to the center of the vehilce if not placed on its lowest (close to floor) setting. This happend at 30 K miles

The first key fob stopped working after about 1 and a half years. The second is showing signs of wear as well after using it for about 1 and a half years.

The trunk sticks a lot and the button (either on key fob or in driver side door) must be pressed several times in order to open.

Sometimes I have to press the gas (even in warm conditions) to get the car to start. This happens randomly, and probably has happend 5 times in the past 6 months.

General Comments:

Other than those optional features malfucntions, the car runs smoothly. Only one engine problem that is questionable is the starting up problem. I can't really put my finger on that, because it happens even after just parking the car for 1 hour.

The car's performance is awesome for a family sedan. My wife gets on my case from time to time when I start to drive it like I do my Mark VIII (luxury sports coupe). It responds quickly and quietly. I am glad I got the v6 model.

We have taken the car on long trips that range from 100 miles to 600 miles one way. After about 4 hours of sitting in the chair, it get uncomfortable.

The car feels like a big car, while getting excellent MPG (average 23). The entry to the car is pretty exquisit as well. The door handles are comfortable and the shutting function sounds and feels smooth.

I test drove the Milan 07' (the 4v model) and definately did not get the same feel while driving that I get from the Malibu. Chevy put a lot into this car, all it needs to do is work on the reliability of its nice "optional" features.

Review Date: 1st December, 2006

1st Dec 2006, 12:51

Well, I'm glad you are happy that you got the V6, it's the only engine avalible in the Impala.

Good Review tho'!

1st Dec 2006, 13:41

Actually, he is writing about a Malibu, not the Impala.