2004 Chevrolet Malibu Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 3.5 from North America

First year of ownership2010

Good

Brakes.

2 front rotors (rusted from sitting).

Wiper blades.

2 front tires.

Shifter set screw came loose; needed re-tightening.

Front Chevy emblem had water damage and was replaced.

General Comments:

I just bought this car a few months ago for $5500, including all the work needed. Having a good/honest and fair priced dealership, and a local mechanic, helps too.

It's my first car, and other than needing the usual stuff, so far it's been good to me.

It has a few issues (all older cars do) : surging transmission shifts while feathering the throttle (maybe time for a trans fluid change?), the steering column "creak" at low speed turns/bumps, soft suspension (car picks up every bump or dip in the road, making the ride slightly harsh on old pavement/roads) and the signal light not clicking off all the time.

I get 32.7 mpg in 50/50 driving, which is pretty good for a 6 year old car.

Malibu's get a bad rap from the previous gen model (friend of mine has a 2002), 2004-up are actually stylish, well built and fairly dependable cars.

I get comments from people who think the car is brand new.

I plan to keep mine for a long time. Like my father before me, I'm a loyal GM man for life...

Review Date: 22nd June, 2010

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx 3.5 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.5 V6 Automatic

Summary:

Built cheap and runs fast

Windshield broken by a small stone.

Tires broke a belt.

Ignition system charging problem.

Starter failure.

Battery failure.

Leaky weatherstripping.

Broken seat lever.

Bad ball joint.

General Comments:

This car is built cheap and runs fast.

Good gas mileage, but it does not offset the high cost of ownership involved with this car. Have had nothing but problems, and has left my family stranded before.

Interior materials are of low quality, and the car's appearance is boxy and dull.

Torque steer is unreal.

When I traded the car, it was beginning to overheat in 60 degree temps.

I am a mechanic and I personally would not ever consider buying this model ever again. Resale value very weak.

Too many lows and very few highs.

Review Date: 21st March, 2009

22nd Mar 2009, 09:50

I read before that others had troubles with this car. Still, it seems like the swiss army knife of cars with that sunroof and HUGE passenger compartment. I've also seen them with low profile tires and aftermarket wheels. WOW, did that ever dress up the car.

Sorry about your troubles. I hear that the new Malibu is getting very good reliability scores, though.

2004 Chevrolet Malibu from North America

Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carChevrolet Malibu

Good

I have had to replace the power steering. It will lock up while driving. It is an electric power steering, and so if you shut it off and turn it back on, it will be fine. I feared driving it while this happened because I had no idea when it would lock up.

Have also replaced the steering column 3 times and am looking to replace it again! Thank goodness it is still under the extended warranty, but the dealership can't seem to fix it.

The CD player had to be replaced. Wouldn't play any CDs, and wouldn't spit out my CDs that were already in there.

The buttons on the steering will had to all be fixed. The buttons quit working, ie volume, seek, mute, etc.

I love the car, but if I didn't have the extended warranty, I would think I got a lemon.

Review Date: 22nd February, 2009

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 3.5 V6 from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 3.5 V6 Automatic
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

Can't go wrong with a V6 Chevy

ABS module failed; replaced under warranty by dealer.

Steering column bearing replaced, also under warranty.

Rotors were warped at 35K, but I attribute that to the previous owner, not the car.

General Comments:

This Malibu is definitely a step up from the old one (I also had a 2000) in every way: better fit/finish, more powerful engine, bucket front seats (thank God), and my personal favorite, highly improved suspension.

The Malibu's very big inside, even by my standards (I'm 6'1, 220 pounds), though I wish Chevy hadn't sacrificed a traditional e-brake for the center console... makes it hard to have fun in the rain.

Despite the aforementioned suspension improvements...205/15/65R?! Seriously? Come on, why didn't you give us 215/17/55 like Mazda did with the 6? It could've really been a favorite for younger people like myself.

It's an understated car (i.e. an old person's car), so I don't get a lot of respect for driving it, especially since I used to have a potential rice rocket ('04 Corolla)...but that thing was so uncomfortable that I was tired after 20 minutes of driving.

Fuel Economy: I get about 18-19MPG on NYC streets, which isn't terrible for the displacement. It's reconciled by my frequent 31MPG highway though - a great, comfortable cruiser.

Interior: Well, it is boring... and the materials weren't as good as the plastics in my '04 Corolla... but '06 Chevy models and up are looking fantastic.

Will I buy another Chevy? Sure. I'd love a Cobalt SS (turbo, no SC), but realistically I'm looking for '06-'08 coupes.

Review Date: 19th November, 2008