2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT V6 from North America

Summary:

Incredible auto; just follow the maintenance schedule, for minimal worry

Not a heck of a lot...

Had to replace the oil pan gasket at slightly under 288,000 miles, and the stock exhaust system at about 29,000.

Took it back for three recalls over the years.

One of the best autos I have ever owned.

General Comments:

Plenty of value for the dollar spent. The car doesn't owe me a cent at this point.

The engine is solid, burns about a cup of oil every month (I use 20-40 high mileage oil). Solid transmission, virtually no problems noted. I do drive highway miles, and stop and go is minimal.

I have it serviced at the local Chevrolet dealership, and the mechanics tell me that my '04 has not been the only one still running at the top of its game, but I have the most mileage of any of them.

Looking forward to 300,000 miles, and will probably purchase another one if it has less than 140,000 miles on it.

One problem noted, the fuel gauge stopped working, but I use the trip meter as a guide to fill ups.

The auto drive works fine, all the electric windows work smoothly, transmission excellent. All I do is follow the guide book on maintenance.

Would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Review Date: 18th April, 2015

26th Apr 2015, 03:03

Glad to hear your getting good service from your Malibu :)

Question: Are you really running 20-40 weight motor oil? I thought these took 5W-30? The thick stuff slows down leaks, but can get "interesting" if you live in a cold climate ;)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 3.5 from North America

Good

Brakes.

2 front rotors (rusted from sitting).

Wiper blades.

2 front tires.

Shifter set screw came loose; needed re-tightening.

Front Chevy emblem had water damage and was replaced.

General Comments:

I just bought this car a few months ago for $5500, including all the work needed. Having a good/honest and fair priced dealership, and a local mechanic, helps too.

It's my first car, and other than needing the usual stuff, so far it's been good to me.

It has a few issues (all older cars do) : surging transmission shifts while feathering the throttle (maybe time for a trans fluid change?), the steering column "creak" at low speed turns/bumps, soft suspension (car picks up every bump or dip in the road, making the ride slightly harsh on old pavement/roads) and the signal light not clicking off all the time.

I get 32.7 mpg in 50/50 driving, which is pretty good for a 6 year old car.

Malibu's get a bad rap from the previous gen model (friend of mine has a 2002), 2004-up are actually stylish, well built and fairly dependable cars.

I get comments from people who think the car is brand new.

I plan to keep mine for a long time. Like my father before me, I'm a loyal GM man for life...

Review Date: 22nd June, 2010

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx 3.5 V6 from North America

Summary:

Built cheap and runs fast

Windshield broken by a small stone.

Tires broke a belt.

Ignition system charging problem.

Starter failure.

Battery failure.

Leaky weatherstripping.

Broken seat lever.

Bad ball joint.

General Comments:

This car is built cheap and runs fast.

Good gas mileage, but it does not offset the high cost of ownership involved with this car. Have had nothing but problems, and has left my family stranded before.

Interior materials are of low quality, and the car's appearance is boxy and dull.

Torque steer is unreal.

When I traded the car, it was beginning to overheat in 60 degree temps.

I am a mechanic and I personally would not ever consider buying this model ever again. Resale value very weak.

Too many lows and very few highs.

Review Date: 21st March, 2009

22nd Mar 2009, 09:50

I read before that others had troubles with this car. Still, it seems like the swiss army knife of cars with that sunroof and HUGE passenger compartment. I've also seen them with low profile tires and aftermarket wheels. WOW, did that ever dress up the car.

Sorry about your troubles. I hear that the new Malibu is getting very good reliability scores, though.