2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 3.5 from North America

Summary:

Good Car for the money!

It started with a steering problem when I first drove it home.

I have had a relay switch replaced for the temperature-gauge.

Thirdly, due to the steering problem, the steering column has been replaced.

Fourth, my key-less entry remotes will not work intermittently.

Lastly, the check engine cap light came on with no fault of the cap.

General Comments:

Upon my first test drive, I truly preferred this vehicle over its competitors: Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and even the lower end Chevy, such as Cavalier.

The handling is great and superb around corners.

The power is wonderful for the size of the car and the class it is in.

This is an under-rated vehicle by Chevy.

Even with the problems I have had, I would still recommend because I understand every so often cars come with problems.

Review Date: 21st June, 2004

23rd Jul 2004, 20:28

As a fellow 04 Malibu owner, you should know that the NHTSA is conducting a probe into this car for steering failures. Mine failed at 8500 miles and is going out again at 11,500. Please go to www.nhtsa.gov to research this.

26th May 2005, 23:05

Chevy, Pontiac and Oldsmobile aren't really competitors because they're all owned by GM.

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 3.5 V6 from North America

Summary:

Extremely pleased with this one!

Absolutely nothing has gone wrong with this car in 25k miles.

General Comments:

I purchased my Malibu LS in November of 2003. I travel all over the country, so I needed a decent car. After hearing some good things about the all new malibu, I had to check one out. Went down to the lot, & test drove a sport red metallic LS model with a tan cloth interior. That did it. I had to have one right then & here. I got the price down to my liking, and made the deal. Since the purchase in November I have no problems to report. I've already done 8 oil changes on this car (I change oil every 3000 miles)! The front seat can also fold down along with the rear seats making the car very handy & versatile for hauling long objects, making the car a great work horse. I also love the heated seats, remote starter, & adjustable pedals. The V6 is a gas miser. I've literally reached 36 mpgs on the high way with this car at 70 mph. The 3.5 is a great combination of power (albeit that it's only 200 hp), torque, and fuel economy. The electric steering is nice, and the transmission shifts are extremely smooth, as well as the ride (But not "floaty" smooth, the car can still handle pretty well). This car has also received a lot of compliments from people that haven't seen one up close yet. I think Chevy has a winner on it's hands here! Completely different car from the Malibu it replaced. I hope to keep this car for a long time to come, and I don't see any reason why it won't hold up for the long haul. With all the features, quality, and versatility this car has to offer, I think Chevy will sell a lot of these.

Review Date: 19th June, 2004

23rd Aug 2004, 18:40

Just an update to my review. I currently have roughly 32900 miles on my LS, and I am pleased to report that everything is still holding up fine. So far all of the maintenance has been routine on it. Will update further at a later time.

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 3.5L OHV V6 from North America

Summary:

A spacious sporty hatchback

Nothing at all. Quality has been excellent.

General Comments:

I love this car, I got the fully loaded version. It has leather seats, automatic climate control, rear audio, sunroof front and back and a DVD player.

I like its versatility, the rear seats slide forward or back and recline for comfort. Also, the trunk is very versatile and makes hauling items much easier.

The 200 HP OHV V6 has lots of get up and go and gets wonderful fuel economy, which I monitor while driving as it has a trip computer integrated into the radio.

I would recommend this car to people who need the versatility of an SUV or Van, but with the handling of a sport sedan. I also like how it shares the same platform as the Opel Vectra, but is a bit bigger to make passengers more comfy.

Review Date: 18th June, 2004

30th Jan 2005, 00:29

Hi there. Wondering about the Maxx's build quality being the first model in this series. Is there wind noise when driving on the highway? How does it handle in the turns? Have you noticed any "little things" that might become concerns later on? I really think Chevrolet has created a sporty family wagon that can compete with the imports, but not sure I have the courage to be a buyer in its first year out. Additional details are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,