1998 Chevrolet Silverado C1500 5.7 V8 350 from North America

Summary:

Silver Machine that keeps on going; a match for Japanese engineering

Hardly anything! It's never left me stranded.

The passenger side rear light cluster circuit board failed, causing the right-turn signal to be unusable. I opened it up myself and saw it was rotted / worn out. A new one was only $$ and I had the part the next day, which I fitted myself.

Aircon was regassed and it blows cold air.

General Comments:

Fantastic. I was losing my faith in American cars. First I'd owned a Dodge Durango, then a Ford Explorer. The latter of which broke down (transfer case issues).

The Silverado really is a silver machine! :) It seems to keep on going, doesn't miss a beat. I travel a lot in it; it's not just a city-machine, it needs to be taken out into the wilderness.

Having said that, my machine isn't a 4x4 version so it's not ideal for off-roading. Ideally I'll have to get some snow tires or chains for this coming winter.

For long distance work I've not had any issues, and the comfort for 1000 mile+++ hauls is nice too. Not quite Cadillac, but not uncomfortable either.

If I'm roughing it, I can at a pinch sleep in the back, but that's not ideal compared to the bigger versions in later years.

The engine doesn't miss a beat! I had no idea I had the uber-version of engines for the Silverado. After 2000 the 350 wasn't an option either. The engine does drink a bit of oil as it's old and has low-medium mileage.

I normally change the oil every 5,000 miles too along with the filter.

Review Date: 30th March, 2016

1998 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 350 from North America

Summary:

The most reliable vehicle I've ever owned

Replaced fuel pump at 200,000 miles.

Replaced rear axle at 250,000 miles.

Replaced door handles at 345,000 miles.

Replaced brake lines at 320,000 miles.

General Comments:

Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

Still has the same tranny.

Only normal wear and tear, and the rear axle was replaced after an accident.

It is my baby, and I am forever a Chevy believer.

Review Date: 13th July, 2013

1998 Chevrolet Silverado 5.7L Vortec from North America

Summary:

Love it

Bought the truck with bad head gaskets for $400.

Also needed new tires and brake rotors from sitting.

Had to replace the fuel pump about 30k ago.

Inner handles tend to break easy.

Doors are heavy and sag after time.

A/C panel has mind of its own.

Ball joints need to be replaced often.

Back brakes have been bad since I bought it. I need to fix that ASAP.

Once in a while it blows an ignition fuse? And a brake light burns out once in a while.

Best truck I have ever owned. Will keep it as long as possible. Parts are cheap and the truck halls ass.

Review Date: 19th December, 2012

1998 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab 5.0 from North America

Summary:

I love my truck

Water pump out at 80K.

Front brake rotors 95k.

Window wiper motor out at 120k.

Starter out at 138k.

Front passenger ball joint out at 165k.

Front brake rotors 165k.

Blown Intake manifold 170k.

Fuel pump out at 180k.

AC compressor/accumulator 185K.

Driver's side door handle 190K.

Oil pump out at 199k (had to replace motor).

General Comments:

I've had this truck from day one, even with the issues I have had, because it is a comfortable truck and was paid for early on. Without truck payments, fixing parts every now and then myself is worth keeping the car. I even replaced the motor myself. I bought a crate motor from dealership for $1600, which was a great deal. All the other repairs as well have been done by me or one of my friends.

There are rattles and noises due mostly to the age. The inside cabin area has stood up to years of abuse with only the driver's door handle breaking. My cloth covered seats still do not have any tears or worn spots on them. I use this daily to drive to work; a round trip over 60 miles. Best gas mileage I have gotten with mixed city/highway miles was 20 MPG.

Review Date: 15th April, 2012

20th Jul 2012, 16:56

Hi, I need information about an intermittent problem with my Chevrolet Silverado King Cab 2500, 1998.

Could you help me?

Nancy from Qu├ębec.

1st Apr 2016, 03:19

If you are going to buy and insure a truck, buy a full size. I tried smaller and it's more cost effective to simply buy a regular full time car and insure that. In turn, driving any truck every day just isn't as nice as having a car. So if you do weekends, have a great heavier duty with towing capabilities etc vs limiting yourself to haul a few bags of mulch home. I have had great luck with Silverado trucks as well.