1998 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 Off Road Package 5.7 Vortec V8 from North America

Summary:

It's a strong, reliable vehicle, well worth keeping on the road

Well, I bought my 1998 Chevy Silverado Z71 4X4 in August of 2002, with about 118,000 miles on it. It was a construction truck prior to me purchasing it. Right now, it has a little over 285,000 miles on it. I've replaced a few parts on the truck more than once, such as the power steering pump I've replaced about 2-3 times a year.

The clear coat on the paint is peeling off, which I've noticed on many Silverados around the same year and body style.

The leather interior is in pretty nice shape, apart from a tear in the driver's seat along the seam; had to use duct tape to hold it together.

Replaced the ignition last year; the ignition wore out to the point that I could start the truck without the key in the ignition.

Have had a few problems with the A/C unit. It doesn't like to hold the freon in, and it leaks out, slowly, but does completely leak out. I've replaced a couple of gaskets and one of the lines to the A/C unit. It also has a tendency to blow cold air for a while, then go hot for a few minutes, then back to cold. The light on the A/C button goes on and off on its own.

I've also had a problem with a oxygen sensor on the truck. The engine service light turns on and off on its own, even when it was just worked on. I was told it's a sensor that is the problem. Doesn't bother me much, but is a little annoying that I get it reset, and then it comes back on a few weeks later.

The steering on the truck is very loose, it can be turned with one finger, even at about 30 mph. A friend of mine has a 1990 Silverado that is the same way. I don't know if that was the way it was from the factory when new.

The most recent problem with the truck was on 8/16/2011, when I noticed the truck was leaking a lot of fluid. I took it into the repair shop, and was told that the intake manifold is leaking and that it would be about $600.00 to repair, which I am not too pleased about.

General Comments:

My family has always had Chevys, and this was the only truck that I've driven this many miles on. I would definitely say it's a reliable vehicle. I love the 5.7 liter V8 (not the smaller 5.3 in the new Silverado); it has a lot of power, and does really well pulling trailers and my 23' boat.

I haven't put a lot of repairs into the truck since I bought it, and plan to hold on to it for a while. I don't really do a lot of off roading in it, even though it has the Z71 4X4 off road package.

I love the truck, pulled cars, boats, and pulled my dad's big rig out of a ditch with it. Very satisfied overall with the truck. Wish Chevy would have kept making the 5.7 liter V8 instead of the 5.3 liter. It was a popular engine, and it is well worth bringing back.

Overall, I would give this truck an 8 out of 10. I've put over a quarter of a million miles on the original engine, and haven't had any major repairs until recently. Definitely going to be a Chevy owner in the future.

Review Date: 16th August, 2011

1998 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 5.7 Vortec from North America

I own a 98 Silverado Z71 ext. cab, Bought it at 80,000 miles; it now has 231,000. Runs great, but starting to have issues.

Replaced fuel pump at 120k miles (still very noisy).

Rebuilt trans. at 154k.

Replaced water pump at 212k.

Just put new on ball joints and tires for the first time. That's all I've ever done to it, besides tune up and brake pads.

The issues I'm having now include loose steering, leaking radiator fluid for last year (can't find the leak), leaking oil about a quart every two to three weeks, and a snapping noise coming from underneath when the gears change, especially when slowing down then hitting the gas. U-joints are tight; not sure if it's rear end or trans., no winding or rattling noise, seems to shift fine. My air bag lights been on for 6 months.

It's been a great truck, and I plan on putting another 100k on it.

One more thing; how's every body getting 20 plus mpg? I only get 17mpg highway, and watch my gas gauge drop in town driving.

Anyone with any answers can e-mail me at stikker@ymail.com. Would greatly be appreciated.

THANKS.

Review Date: 2nd October, 2010

9th Aug 2011, 19:06

Loose steering may be your idler arm worn out, it's on the passenger side; get under the truck and push up on the drag link to see if it moves, it shouldn't.

The coolant leak is probably at the rear of intake with that many miles, and the intake gaskets being old could also account for the oil loss if it's being sucked down the intake runners.

I just replaced a set that was doing both, leaking a little coolant at the rear, and when I pulled the intake, I could see where oil had been getting pulled up into the # 2 and 4 intake

runners out of the valley.

Also found 2 split fuel injector lines going to #8 and#5 cylinders.

Hope this helps, Tim.