1998 Chevrolet Silverado 5.7L V8 Vortec from North America

Summary:

Awesome!

Service Engine Soon light indicates a P0420, which is Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1, from what I've come to understand that means I have to replace the catalytic converter. FYI, if it we're 02 sensors the OBDII codes would tell me so. Haven't replaced it yet, I suspect that the plugged cat converter could be the culprit of rough idling. Estimated around 300 bucks to replace. Kinda scared if the plugged converter could mean something like a burned exhaust valve, so if I replace the converter and if I end up back at square one all over again. Though with 176,000 miles on it, good chance it is just an old used up converter?

Starter was replaced, not sure of all the details, but previous owner had to enlarge one of the holes to mount it. Tried using shims, but every now and again at start up you get that smacking noise from the pinion gear. That might be expensive to fix.

Steering kinda twitches or jerks with left turns. Getting new tires soon and complete alignment, so I'm hoping that fixes it. New tires are expensive FYI.

Ball joints leak grease, but nothing new on mostly any vehicle.

General Comments:

Water pump was replaced by previous owner, I can tell since I pulled off the skid plate under the front differential and scraped off dirt and thick gunk that had rested there from when it was going out. Seems like water pump is a must to replace sooner or later on these.

Fuel filter has been replaced within the year, wondering about replacing it again in the spring 09. It does do that loud fuel pump sound, but with the rumbling engine it isn't any big deal, and it just shut offs pretty soon after I pull the key out of the ignition after driving.

Transmission was also totally replaced, it's still even shiny! So even with 176,000 miles on the engine, the tranny has maybe over a 1,000 or 2,000 miles and still under warranty.

Other than that, seems quite alright. Has a feeling of power behind the wheel! Has actually been taken pretty good care of, and oil changes, routine maintenance has been performed consistently. Wondered about switching to high mileage oil, but am scared of causing any leaks. Just sticking to Pennz 5W30 at the moment.

Review Date: 29th October, 2008

18th Jun 2014, 22:20

You need to check with your dealer and have them check the sensor for your steering; mine did that and did not cost that much.

1998 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 5.7 from North America

Summary:

Never buy again

Intake gasket at 128000 miles.

Fuel pump at 130000 miles.

Numerous cap and rotor buttons.

ABS going out.

Wipers work when they want to.

Tie rods, idler arm, pittman arm, ball joints.

General Comments:

I have owned 2 GM vehicles and will never own a third. They are a money pit.

The motors are strong and reliable, and that is about it. They are not a work truck.

With GM being as big of a company as they are, seems to me like they could build a more reliable truck. Especially with the ABS problems they have, it's a wonder I'm still alive due to brake failure.

Sorry GM, but I will never waste money again on one of your vehicles. No wonder every one is buying foreign cars and trucks; they know how to do it better.

Review Date: 14th May, 2008

16th May 2008, 20:42

Are you serious? You bought a truck with 120k, and your complaining that its worn out? Those are very typical repairs for a vehicle of any make with that number of miles. I'm not pro Chevy either. I've got a '07 Silverado that is a total piece of junk. I'd be thrilled if it made it 70k let alone 170k. In my opinion, the best Chevy's were the '88-'98's.