1998 Chevrolet Silverado K 1500 Z-71 5.7L (350) Vortec from North America

Summary:

A good truck, I like it a lot!

The intake manifold was leaking coolant, a new gasket took care of that. 115,000 miles.

The rear end was noisy... new bearings took care of that problem. 117,000 miles.

This truck has 121,000 miles now, and is running good and strong!

General Comments:

This pick-up is the 1500 Z-71 4X4 Extended cab third door with leather interior (which I like a lot).

It has the push button shift for the transfer case (which I'm not too crazy about).

The A/C is ice cold, and the heater works good.

The truck handles and rides like a car... A little weird at first, but it is easy to get used to... A much better feel than the 1993 Dodge truck I had... :)

The L31 5.7L (350) Vortec power plant makes plenty of power, it is good off the line and pulls the hills pretty well... 255hp and 330lb-ft of torque... I really like lots of power, so at some point, I plan on installing the HT383E GM crate engine... 330hp and 435lb-ft of torque would sure be nice!

The 4L60E 4 speed Automatic W/Overdrive transmission is a good match for this application, although I have been told that the 4L80E is a good upgrade for towing and so-forth... maybe someday I'll do that too... (LOL)

I like this truck a lot; it goes everywhere I want it to, and it is dependable. It gets 17+ MPG HWY, which I think is pretty good for a full size extended cab 4X4 pick-up truck.

This truck has duel exhaust from the engine all of the way back to the muffler, where the two pipes dump into a two in - one flow-master muffler, then it is split in two, into a pair of 2-1/4" pipes and comes out under the back bumper with a pair of nice chrome 3" tips... it sounds deep and mean when you romp on it!

I plan on keeping this truck along time, so I'm glad I bought it... If you're looking for a good used truck, you would be smart to choose one of these! I sure do like mine! :)

Review Date: 5th August, 2009

2nd Sep 2013, 19:03

Update:

My truck now has 177,000 miles on it.

Two years ago I replaced the G80 Gov-lock with a Detroit Tru-Trac rear diff carrier, just because I was afraid of a catastrophic failure... which never happened, and a new water pump last year.

Other than that, just normal maintenance, and this truck has been running strong and true the entire time. No major problems. A good truck!

1998 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 4x4 5.7L Vortech from North America

Summary:

An awesome truck, but only because it's a Chevy 350. The 305 and 4.3 are garbage

To tell you the truth, nothing really went wrong until the warranty was done. After that I had a few problems until I quit taking it back to the dealership for service. Reliable as hell otherwise. Never left me stranded.

Water pump and lower hose at 100,000.

Tires.

Fuel pump and filter.

Air filter.

Plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

General Comments:

I am a Chevy guy through and through, and to tell you the truth, I really can't bring myself to buy a new truck, because they look so girly.

Simply because it is a 5 speed with a Chevy 350 under the hood, this thing will probably run forever. I ran it for about a year with a bad water pump and never experienced any overheating at all. The only reason I found it is because there would be antifreeze on the ground underneath it sometimes.

Other than that, can't complain about anything. It will bark fourth with no problem :) She is a quick one.

Review Date: 14th June, 2009

15th Jun 2009, 22:14

That is really awesome you were able to get your truck with the 350/5 speed combo, I've always thought you could never get a 5 speed with the 350.

16th Apr 2011, 18:59

Oh buddy. I have a 4.3 liter shortbox. She flies. I had her buried at 110 MPH and she burns.

17th Apr 2011, 18:43

Say what you want about the 305, but I have seen original 305 smallblock Chevy engines go way, way past 300k - 400k without a rebuild, not leaking or burning oil, and running quiet.

I was amazed to see this myself, but have seen this on a lot of old Chevys. Sure the 350 has more power, but the 305 with a cast iron block puts Japanese technology to shame when it comes to reliability and high running hours.

19th Apr 2011, 10:24

Hey man, don't be bashing on the 305, I restore cars, and I have a 93 C1500 extended cab with a 305 with an automatic.

I drove it up to Barea, Kentucky last August to buy a 71 Lincoln Mark III (a 5700 lb car) and towed it home on my trailer. No problems at all. The 305 may not be as "fast" as the 350, but my truck has always done what I needed it to do without much trouble or strain.

I have 180,000 miles on it. All I've done is regular maintenance and fixed a few wear and tear items. You know, the usual stuff like brakes, timing chain, water pump, trans services, oil changes, etc.

I had the infamous wiper issue, but a new computer circuit board fixed it. I did a few cosmetic upgrades to it too, such as 97 front end and rear bumper, chrome deep dish Chevy rims and caps, repainted it midnight blue with a pewter belly, removed all side trim and emblems (except for a Cheyenne emblem on the c-pillar like my dad's 72 Cheyenne Super) for a clean profile, and changed out my bed to the step side.

I love my truck, he does what I need, and always gets me where I want to go. If I ever need another motor, then I'm getting another 305 for sure. If I want to go fast, I'll drive my 66 Malibu with its 396. If I want to go luxurious, I'll drive my 71 Mark III. Every car I own has its purpose.