1998 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 OffRoad from North America

Summary:

Bad to the bone

None.

General Comments:

For being a used truck, I am impressed. I am very happy with my purchase. The first Z71 I have ever owned. This is one very strong truck.

Review Date: 24th August, 2010

1998 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 5.7 from North America

Summary:

I just bought this truck about 2 months ago.

Replace starter at 190.000, then just replaced intake gaskets.

Now I've been chasing a water leak on the passenger side floor board when I leave it out in the rain. It leaks; anybody else had this problem with a 1998 Z71 Chev truck?

I still love my truck, 350 LT motor with 200k miles, it still runs strong, lots of take off power.

Review Date: 21st February, 2010

7th Mar 2012, 18:12

I had the same problem on my 1997 Chevy Silverado 350 5.7L. I took it to several mechanics, and nobody could find out where the water was coming from.

About a year ago, I took it to have the windshield replaced. The glass technician said he couldn't replace the glass, because the cab above the passenger side was rusted. He then asked me if I would ever get water inside the cab when it would rain, and that's how I found out where the water was coming from. The rust wasn't that bad, but it was enough to let water in when it rained real hard.

13th Apr 2013, 03:12

Just bought a 1998 Z71 that had the same problem... Think it's coming in through the blower motor. Now parking it in underground. Also had the windshield replaced, so maybe it's what the other guys said? Rust or corrosion.

6th Aug 2013, 12:10

Hello there. I had the same problem. If you take the end piece off the wiper cowl, the end screw that holds the main cowl is right above air intake for the heater. Put some silicone on there and your problem will be solved.

1998 Chevrolet Silverado 5.7 ltr. Vortec from North America

Summary:

Great learning experience: old and new school

Bought the truck at 182000 miles, it didn't run. Replaced fuel pump, most of a head set: (head gaskets, valve cover, upper and lower intake, throttle body.) Also I installed new fuel injectors from BWD, great upgrade from the stock ones they are suppose to be as good as OEM, but I find them a great bit better.

Also I didn't know if these parts were bad, but I replaced them when I rebuilt it; power steering pump, water pump, the fitting where the heater hose runs into the intake (replaced it with a 1/2 inch barbed ended hose fitting with a hose clamp, found it on the performance wall at Autozone). I also put 2" drop shackles on when we did the fuel pump. And replaced the starter and battery recently.

General Comments:

Now runs like it's brand new, and I was amazed at how simple this motor really was. Most people with a little patience and time could do all their repairs with just a few dollars and access to a few special tools.

The only problems I have now are A/C, but it's winter and the heater works.

Review Date: 21st November, 2009

1998 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z-71 5.7 350 V8 from North America

Summary:

Great looking, quick, and dependable, with some repair work!

Had to put a new motor in it.

General Comments:

Great looking if you fix them up and keep them clean. Dependable.

Seats with arm rest are comfortable, rides well, and handles smooth.

I've had two of these trucks, and they both have had their problems, but overall they are great trucks!

Review Date: 16th August, 2009

16th Aug 2009, 11:22

How is this a dependable vehicle when you had to replace the entire engine and yet the truck itself only has 117,000 miles on it? You domestic owners are in so much denial. A 117,000 miles on a Toyota isn't even a quarter of its life, and yet you insist on buying a throw-away Silverado and replace the entire engine in the thing?

11th Nov 2011, 16:26

We "Domestic" owners, as you term it, bother to keep these trucks on the road because they can tow serious loads compared to your plastic Toyota. Some of us work for a living using our trucks.

19th Dec 2012, 01:24

Americans love American vehicles. Maybe a foreign vehicle will run longer, but will it save your family in a collision? I feel my chances are better in my Chevy Silverado or my Plymouth Fury. :-)

10th May 2013, 02:10

I've got a question. What model of Toyota truck can you haul 10,700 lbs with? Answer that and I'll gladly trade my cheapy Chevy in for a TOYota...

10th May 2013, 08:22

You get 480000 miles out of your Toyota trucks, same engine and trans? Maybe I should trade in my Silverado that tows a 27 foot boat in bumper to bumper traffic 2 hours on hot weekends. That's very impressive.

2nd Oct 2014, 20:36

I bought my 1998 4x4 with a 5.7 liter engine new in 98. I put 256,000 miles on it, towed a 21 foot boat from day one, and just sold it and bought a 2008 Z71.

My 98 was the best truck I've ever had. I hope to have the same luck. When I sold it, it still had the same engine and trans in it.

I refuse to buy Japanese stuff. Toyota still cannot touch the style and reliability of a Chevy, so keep buying and watching your Toyotas rust away; I'll keep driving my American trucks.