1999 Daewoo Lanos S 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Competent, reliable, economic

The thermostat failed in the open position at 15000 miles. Garage fix.

Replaced timing belt at same time.

The rotary air vent direction controller failed, because the operating cable behind the dash had become detached, but I fixed it with a cable tie. Access was possible after removing the glove box. (An easy fix).

The driver's door speaker failed.

General Comments:

The front seats gradually recline all by themselves over a period of weeks. Spooky.

The windows drop about 1 cm from time to time and cause wind noise.

The power steering is very light, but I like it that way.

Handling, brakes, steering, suspension and ride are all acceptable.

Review Date: 1st October, 2004

1999 Daewoo Lanos S 1.6L from North America

Summary:

Daewoo Lanos Falls Apart Quickly

Tires wore out completely at about 20,000 miles. Very soft rubber compound.

Dashboard squeaks terribly.

"Check Engine" light has been blinking since shortly after I bought it. Neither the dealer nor our mechanic (to whom we've brought all our cars for 15 years) could figure out why it blinks. It's annoying.

OEM brakes wore out right away.

Serpentine belt tensioner broke.

Air whooshes into the cabin from somewhere around the "B" pillar when traveling at highway speed.

At 36,000 miles, the wire loom that services the automatic transmission conked out, causing the transmission to buck and shift on its own. My wife was on the freeway when this happened. The nearest Daewoo dealer was an hour away, and they charged us $650 to replace it!

Water pump and thermostat are in one single housing, and when they failed (this is normal with all cars at some time), the mechanic had to go find a special tool to simply change the water pump... and he has been in business for 15 years and has every tool you can imagine!

The paint chips off the body panels very easily.

De-fogger failed.

The dashboard is so difficult to disassemble, the dealer charged us for 10 hours of labor when the air conditioner's condensor unit failed. Oh yeah... the entire A/C system failed, forcing me to cough up $1700 to fix the system on a car that is listed at a value of only $2000. I live in Southern California, so A/C is a necessity.

Nobody will buy this car from me, so I'm stuck with it until I run it into the ground, which I gladly will.

General Comments:

The engine is fantastic. Very solid, and very strong. Pulls well.

Unfortunately, the rest of the car is so poorly built, I have a hard time figuring out how the Koreans expected to survive in the auto business for very long. This car is a true piece of poo-poo. I would love to transfer the engine to a Honda Civic and keep running it, but I'll likely have to sell the whole car to a salvage yard as soon as I pay it off entirely.

Oh yes... the Daewoo dealership was bar-none the absolute worst I've ever dealt with.

Never, ever buy a Daewoo. Serves them right to go bankrupt.

Review Date: 24th August, 2004

20th Apr 2006, 00:51

OK, so the tires are probably what the dealership put on. Can't blame the car for the tires going!! Find something to comment on that will actually be USEFUL to a prospective Daewoo buyer rather than telling us the dealership you went to has poor customer service.

20th Apr 2006, 14:05

Falls Apart Quickly! Thank you!

I've been wondering what FAQ means.

1999 Daewoo Lanos SE from North America

Summary:

Don't buy, it 's Cheap!!!

We had to replace all 4 tires.

The check engine light will not go off no matter what we do.

Our speedometer doesn't work at all.

The car dies whenever we go onto a long trip like when exiting the freeway.

General Comments:

I don't think I would ever buy this car again.

It seems like everything goes wrong.

It's has 70,000 miles on it and we have put about $200 into it in the last week.

It seems like we have to spend a lot of money to keep it running and we payed over $6,000 for it.

Their's no book for it so we have to take it in every time and its not free just to take a look at it.

Review Date: 29th June, 2004