2000 Daewoo Lanos S 1.6 from North America

Summary:

It is a good car with build comparable to other imports at a fraction of the price

Check Engine light came on due to camshaft position sensor fault (recall item).

Thermostat housing broke in two.

Air conditioning stopped working.

General Comments:

My Lanos has been pretty reliable.

The seats are very comfortable and the car has been a good value for the price paid.

I would like to know if others have had air-conditioner problems and what was found to be the cause of the trouble.

Review Date: 3rd October, 2006

12th Oct 2006, 07:22

Hi in response to your question, I am the writer of the review below yours on the list and my lanos air-conditioning stopped working as well. And that was because it needed to be re-gased. If you don't know what this is ask a local mechanic.

17th Sep 2007, 08:34

I own a 1999 Lanos in the UK and the air-con failed on mine 6 months after I bought it.

The problem starts with with positioning of the air-con condenser & cooling element, which is in-front of the engine radiator. This means that any stones, grit, etc which hit the front of the car also hit the condensor, creating lots of little holes which first lose all your refridgerant gas, then rust up blocking the whole system.

I've never bothered having it fixed, as it costs too much, plus we don't really need air-con in the UK.

Still, gotta be better than the engine radiator getting destroyed...

Otherwise, a great little car, had mine 3 years, done 65000 miles, no real complaints. Bit noisy on motorways...

2000 Daewoo Lanos I4 1.6L from North America

Summary:

Garbajo, don't buy it

The only thing that went wrong with the car was the timing belt, which was outrageously expensive to fix, a huge portion of what I bought it for, because the valves had been bent because of it, and so a large portion of the engine was ruined. This made it clear to me this car was not worth it.

General Comments:

When I got it at the used car lot, I spent only about $3200. I don't think its even worth that. I actually think the car had been in an accident before I got it, which may be the reason why when I drove it at 80 it felt very very unsafe. Driving it at 80mph, it started rattling and put much too much stress on the engine even though its only 80mph!!! The car overall feels extremely cheap, sitting in it, driving it, steering it, etc... It was as if Daewoo made some kind of crazy bet on whether or not they could produce a sellable car, while spending only about $100 for production, including labor.

The only good thing about the car was how cheap it cost me and the fuel economy. it was almost worth the money if the timing belt had not broken.

I got into an accident with my Volkswagen Golf, and I only got about $3600 from insurance. this looked like a good deal, but now I realize I would have much rather bought a better car with more miles. Now I am glad to have gotten rid of that car.

Review Date: 18th February, 2006

19th Feb 2006, 10:52

80 MPH is not slow. A car of that size has a harder time handling high speeds. You make it sound as if you were driving 35...if this review is authentic.

19th Feb 2006, 21:55

Well, you pretty much have to expect that a 6-year-old Daewoo for $3,200 is not going to be like driving a BMW. Even brand new, these are only meant to be a cheap runabout, which is fine as long as you recognize that limitation. If you needed cheap transportation, that's one thing, but just realize that you're not buying a fast, smooth riding luxury car. Remember that it's intended purpose is simply to get you from A to B with no frills, and not at high speeds.