2000 Dodge Durango R/T 5.9L from North America

Solid motor

Head gasket was leaking when I bought it. I replaced all the gaskets in the top and lower end, and replaced the oil pump... since then I've never ever, EVER, EVER had a problem with my motor.

Can't say the same for the transmission; it's gonna get its 2nd rebuild again soon.

MPG sucks too, but it keeps my family on the road.

General Comments:

GREAT 4x4, never had a problem in or out ANYWHERE... I'm sure if you got stupid you'd get stuck.

Overall, it's the only half ton truck I'd buy... A great machine Dodge!

Review Date: 20th March, 2015

22nd Mar 2015, 03:02

Good call replacing the oil pump. Have had 1 318 and 2 360s (E58 Police Packages, no less) have oil pump failure.

2000 Dodge Durango SLT Magnum 5.9L 360HP from North America

If someone offers you a free Durango, don't accept it!

Steering, coils, electronics, fans, sensors etc.

General Comments:

This car is too complex for the average Joe. Too many issues to sort out when it goes bad, which can be often and different than anything you have ever experienced. Be prepared to seek the assistance of a mental health professional if you buy this vehicle, and a bankruptcy lawyer.

Review Date: 23rd October, 2014

26th Oct 2014, 04:26

Someone who buys an old, high mileage vehicle and does not expect to have to make repairs... likely does need "the assistance of a mental health professional".

27th Oct 2014, 02:38

It's probably due to taking the truck off road and pushing it pretty hard as opposed to the mileage. The miles could have been gentle highway miles for all we know.

2000 Dodge Durango V8 from North America

Dodge Durangos are lemons

Drive shaft fell out and hit the transfer case, cracking it in half.

Rear end went a few months after I bought it.

Car chewed through batteries. Mechanics (4 different ones) could not figure it out. Alternator was fine (new batteries). Finally had to put a switch on the battery. Had to turn the battery "off" at night or the car wouldn't start in the morning.

Strange problem where sometimes when backing up it would seize up and be stuck, then suddenly engage! Transmission was ruled out; turned out the brakes were sticking and catching on metal.

Universal ball joint went a few months after I bought it.

The car pulled to the right badly.

Air conditioning stopped working abruptly this summer.

Speakers started making a horrible noise "bap bap bap" so I couldn't listen to the radio.

General Comments:

This gas guzzling lemon was by far, without a doubt, the very WORST vehicle I have EVER owned. Yeah they look nice, but never have I had a vehicle literally fall apart within months of buying it. I'm car-less now as I refuse to sink any more money into this piece of garbage. I'll never ever buy another Dodge. I'm a Chev/GMC girl, and this was my first non GM car, and I'd never buy another Dodge piece of junk ever.

I'm going to scrap this thing because I couldn't sell it to anyone unless they agreed that they wanted a lemon for parts or whatever. I'm very disappointed by Dodge. Would never recommend this truck to anyone!

Review Date: 10th October, 2013

14th Oct 2013, 11:57

Before you declare a make a "lemon", try owning a new or newer one. It's very unfair to declare a brand a lemon based on your sample of an old, pretty well used up vehicle.

19th Oct 2013, 10:05

I put 300k on one. Granted, very easy commuter mileage vs working hard, but it made it. I was in Jiffy Lube once a month with oil changes as a company car. It was comfortable with great room. I had some O2 sensor issues, 2 batteries, tires brakes, but the same engine. It looked almost new when I sold it. I ran it through the car wash every week and had it detailed a lot. Mileage was about 10 MPG average. It was great in winters; never got stuck.