2000 Dodge Durango Reviews - Page 5 of 24

2000 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9 from North America

Most recent distance119000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Fleetline

Summary:

Why won't Dodge do the right thing?

Our Durango has recurring suspension issues. I drive almost exclusively around town, hauling only kids. Our control arms/bushings/hub bearings/spindle nuts, etc have gone out repeatedly. This causes worn tires & replacements of tires and alignments frequently. We have put a bunch of money into this, and now the lower control arm bushings are worn out AGAIN, so that it cannot be aligned and has worn out yet ANOTHER set of front tires.

The dealer this morning told me the bushings were unavailable separately - that I would have to buy two lower control arms at $587 each. I just got off the phone from an online auto parts dealer for hard to find parts. I bought the bushings for $21 each, the hub bearings, spindle nuts and all for just over $200. Dodge is not content to refuse to back up its product. Dodge also lies (unavailable, huh?) and rips off the consumer once they are stuck with a purchase.

General Comments:

The sad part is how much I love this car - great room, great drivability, quiet. Sigh. But the whole pouring money into it like a money pit thing is getting old. Here is a list of what else we have had REPEATED problems with:

Front door locks (electric)

Electric windows

Cam shaft sensor

Crank shaft sensor

Oxygen sensor.

Review Date: 15th November, 2008

2000 Dodge Durango 5.9L from North America

Engine and transmission 5.9L Automatic

Summary:

I would never buy a Dodge again; they suck

I just had to replace the rear end and the transmission for $4000.00.

The driver side window has never worked, and I had a guy take a look at it and he said it need a new motor, which will run me anywhere from 250.00 to 300.00.

The A/C works whenever it wants to.

There is a howling noise in the rear end still, and the mechanic said it is my transfer case.

General Comments:

My Durango will blow you in the dust now, but I just dropped 4000.00 into it and the howling is so loud it will drive you insane.

Review Date: 29th February, 2008

2000 Dodge Durango SLT from North America

Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carChevrolet Beretta

Summary:

It started out OK, but not sure if I'd buy one again

We had to replace the output sensor in 2007, the window motor ($500) in 2006, and this year, 2008, I was in an accident with it and the airbag did not go off.

Does anyone else have any airbag issues with the 2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4?

Review Date: 22nd January, 2008

2000 Dodge Durango R/T 5.9L V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 5.9L V8 Automatic
Distance when acquired82000 kilometres
Previous carDodge Spirit

Summary:

Excellent 4x4 for the price, seats 7 and can haul more than a 7300lb trailer!

SO far nothing has gone wrong (knock on wood). Just regular maintenance items such as fluid changes, and regular inspections keep it in tip top shape. The leather seats of my R/T model are holding up well considering they're eight years old!

One thing that's ongoing (especially now that its winter time) is I have to constantly lube the rear lock mechanism to keep it from sticking open. Otherwise, when I open the hatch and go to close it - it won't latch; it'll bounce back up about 1" then look like its closed, but its really not. This is more of an inconvenience and with the vehicle being driven in harsh winter conditions and being eight years old, I'm surprised I haven't had more problems!

General Comments:

The R/T makes a great touring vehicle. If you live in flat grounded areas with no hills then the R/T might seem overkill. EPA rates it at 12/16 (old ratings) and I average 14.4mpg with 50/50 driving which is acceptable, even considering that I romp on the throttle occasionally. The 3.92 axle ratio puts rpms justa touch over 2000rpm at 60mph. More modern SUV's are around 1600-1800rpm at the same speed. So if you drive a lot in flat areas you'll want an SLT with 3.55 axle ratio. However, performance will suffer.

The A pillars are thicker than normal, which can be a hindrance in tight corners where there are a lot of pedestrians or things going on to keep track of since you have to move your head more than usual.

I'm a big guy (6'3" 245lbs) and find the cain size is just right. I don't like too much space and I don't want to feel squished either. When going over rough roads where the trucks suspension rebounds a lot I have to put the power seat down all the way or else my head bounces off the roof ever so slighty. Its just an annoyance.

Review Date: 20th January, 2008