2000 Dodge Durango SLT from North America

Summary:

I think it is a nice vehicle

My 2000 Dodge Durango was a Programmed Car, but it was in good condition when I bought it. Then...

Btw - the AC went out (while we were on family vacation about 500 miles from home)

I had to get the compressor and dryer replaced to solve that problem.

Driver side door and rear passenger door no longer locks. They also makes the loud noise when locking. I was told that the actuator need to be replaced. It will cost approx. $500 to replace both.

Btw - fan clutch went out (while on vacation again. Had to rent a car and SUV had to be towed home). Fan clutch had to be replaced. I thought that would be it.

Shortly after that, my transmission appeared to be straining, my RMPs would go up until I get to 45-50 mph then would drop down to 1-2 rpms. So my transmission had to be rebuilt. The transmission seems to still be straining, but I haven't taken it back to the mechanic yet.

If anyone out there is having the same problem I am having with the RPMs, please respond. Thank you.

General Comments:

I like my Dodge Durango other than the problems, I think it really has served me well.

Review Date: 2nd May, 2006

9th Jan 2007, 16:27

On your rpm deal its the egr valve on the intake its sticking.

9th Jan 2007, 16:49

I could have been wrong about the egr valve, anyway it has to do with to much air or not enough.

2000 Dodge Durango SLT V8 5.2 from North America

Summary:

I'm buying another one!!

None.

General Comments:

I own a 2000 Durango, and am getting ready to buy my second; a 2003. I love everything about them (power, ride, room, comfort, stability,). But before I bought my first, I checked all the auto review sites to see what people had to say about them. Almost all the complaints I have read have something to do with the ball joints, so with a quick Google search, I found out that 2000-2003.5 ball joint have been recalled. I don’t know if people are paying little shops to fix their ball joint problem and paying for it, or taking them to the dealer for the recall. I figured I would write this reply, just so people know if they do have a problem with their ball joints, or do not want to buy a Durango because of this problem, it is a manufacturer recall that will be fixed for free.

Please don’t let this problem be the deciding factor in buying this vehicle. Like any major purchase, do your own research, but as far as I am concerned, they are an awesome overall SUV.

The only gripe I have is the gas mileage, but they aren’t much different than any other 4x4 I have researched.

Review Date: 17th October, 2005

2000 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9 from North America

Well, here we go: engine went kaboom last week. Took it in to diagnose, and sludge in the engine; threw several rods; valve embedded in cylinder; anyway: looked like scrambled eggs inside. Conclusion from indep shop: install rebuilt engine at 51k miles at $1600; parts/labor, etc all came out to under $5k; did my homework: got a '98 1500 engine with 79k miles for $800 with comps at 165-185, 6 mos warranty; had it delivered to Juan's auto for $900 labor install; parts at $300, 2.5 days later got it back... oil pressure gauge fluctuating below 40 and above 40 intermittently. Getting ready to sell it. Interested?

General Comments:

I love the Durango; excellent camping SUV; reliable, until engine blew: I did all oil changes, including Lucas oil stabilizer; do my own plugs/wires/ dist cap and rotor. Maybe go with the FX45, or lease the Nissan Pathfinder SE.

Review Date: 14th October, 2005

6th Nov 2005, 15:44

I really like my Durango until a whole bunch of things went wrong in the engine. I too, am getting ready to sell it. I maybe going back to buying Acura's models.