2000 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2 liter from North America

Summary:

Don't let the awesome look fool you, Durango's are JUNK!

Well, I've learned my lesson. A great looking truck, very functional with 3rd row seating, but absolutely a money pit. I continue to pay a hefty truck payment and POUR money into it.

At 37,000 miles, AC: Drier and front expansion valve failure. Replaced front expansion valve and receiver drier. ($1300)

At 44,000 miles, Front End: Lower control arm bushings and upper spring bushings and new control arm. Replace right lower control arm and spring cushions. Align front end. ($700)

At 49,000 miles, Front end issues again. Took back to dealer on original work. Not sure exactly what they did, but something to do with bushings again.

At 56,000 miles, driver window motor replaced. ($200)

Currently, at 67,000, I'm experiencing 3 more issues. (1) I've been experiencing the "sludge" build-up that I've seen all over the Internet. My oil pressure was going from 40 PSI to 0...back and forth. The dealer flushed my engine & changed the oil. It was fine for about 7 months. Now, it's back. I'm looking at another $350 to now replace the oil pump, oil screen, pan and I need to start using synthetic oil with every change. (2) The passenger window is making a crazy noise when locking. The dealer says it's the lock actuator and I'm looking at $200 for that. (3) Hatch/lift support struts are gone. They don't hold up my hatch door any longer. I'm looking at $125 for the pair.

Other misc. stuff not right...

- Front brake rotors warped. Truck shakes when braking

- Back speakers blown. How does that happen with a factory radio/CD unit?

General Comments:

I love the way this truck looks, leather seats, 3rd row seating, dual air... but it is a lemon. I will never, ever buy another Dodge. I think it's time I go to a Honda or Toyota SUV to see if the rumors are true. I really can't believe the quality in my Durango. It is a junker. Do not let the great looks fool you. You'll go broke sinking money to keep in running.

My two cents...

Review Date: 10th January, 2005

11th Jan 2005, 21:39

Hey just read your post, sorry you're so unhappy. Just going to tell you to have your mechanic change the plenum gasket. If this isn't done you will continue to have the sludge buildup. The faulty paper gasket has been upgraded to a rubber and metal one with new style bolts. That is your problem with sludge; oil pump is probably still good, but after changing the plenum intake gasket you'll need to have the motor flushed again. I also hear of a lot of people saying they are having front suspension problems. I've got 100,000 miles on both my 98 Durangos and have had no issues with the suspension or bushings. I do know that that huge engine in the thing is tough on the suspension, though its gonna be. Heck that's the same motor they put into the 1500 Dodge trucks. Mine both pull through brake pads like butter and front tires wear fast, getting about 2 yrs out of a set of tires and would probably be getting less if I didn't buy the beefy knobbly tires that I do. They naturally take more time to wear. I still, however, love my Dodge Durangos. It's a love/hate thing.

I guess you could say Toyota 4-Runners rock. The best ones are the older ones with the 22RE motor. Engine last virtually forever. You have to work to tear it up and I mean work hard. Don't buy a gutless Nissan whatever you do, Jay.

2000 Dodge Durango SLT V8 magnum from North America

Summary:

Think I will have to go Toyota from here on

It is in the shop for freeze plug. $800 at the dealership extended warranty will not cover. The parts are not the bulk of the expense. It is the darn labor. This just happened at 47000mi. Well of course the radio was the first thing to go at 39000 miles which happens in all dodge vehicles early it seems. Door locks started making noise at 40000mi which luckily the extended warranty covered.

General Comments:

Love the power and the ride, but I have read about the nightmares and this is usually where they start at 50,000mi.

Going to trade as soon as I get it out of the shop.

Review Date: 16th November, 2004

11th Dec 2004, 07:16

I have a 1999 Durango and love it. So far I have had two minor problems. When I fill up, the gas meter reports as being empty. The solution is to turn off the enginne and re-startr. The other problem is the gear shift, the engine won't start unless you have in park. It is corrected by putting in gear and back to park. In light of that yes I would buy another Durango.

25th Dec 2004, 16:45

I have a 1999 Dodge Durango. I bought it used, with only a few thousand miles on it. I love the truck completely and have had no problems until recently and I am not sure if what I am experienceing is a problem or just something routine. The first snowstorm of the season hit so I used the four wheel drive. There was an awful rotten egg smell shortly after I disengaged the four wheel drive. I stopped and checked the motor and there was fluid on it. It looked to come from beside the radiator at what looked like a possible overflow valve. I looked in my manual and could find nothing. The truck still runs great, but this does concern me as I don't want to let something "run dry" and cause damage. If anyone out there knows of this and could explain, I would really appreciate the information. Thank you, Jayson Vance from Missouri.

23rd Jul 2005, 23:46

On 4x4 vehicles, once you disengage the four wheel drive you have to drive backwards for a few feet to unlock it. Otherwise problems will occur. This might be why you smell rotten eggs.