2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 V8 Magnum from North America

Summary:

What a joke..

Well for starters it already had a new transmission when I purchased it.

Both power motors on driver's side blown.

Just had it in the shop because the air compressor went bad.

The evaporator core died.

The alternator died.

The radiator hose assembly exploded.

And followed by the ever breaking heater coil leaks all over the place.

All that at the same time!!!!!

General Comments:

The truck drives great, but not worth the gas prices and repairs that constantly need to be done.

Review Date: 21st May, 2010

21st May 2010, 18:15

Hard to believe that a truck with 130k would have problems...

2000 Dodge Durango SLX 4.7L from North America

Summary:

Support USA - Buy American Made Products

The following items are not considered as "things gone wrong with the car", but merely as wear & tear parts. Each and every car part is not expected or engineered to "last forever", thus requiring maintenance/ replacement.

Maintenance performed on the below items, except for tire mounting & balancing were completed by myself, with reference of auto repair manuals and with minimal hand/power tools.

Passenger rear door window motor @ 114,000 miles.

Drivers side rear door lock actuator @ 152,000 miles (damaged and replaced by auto body shop).

Front/rear shocks (1st time replacing) @ 144.000 miles (normal wear&tear parts).

Windshield @ 152,000 miles (normal wear & tear).

Top weatherstrip for rear windshield @ 152,000 miles.

Recall for front ball joints @ 93,000 miles.

A/C compressor, accumulator/dryer, front & rear expansion valves and fan belt @ 155,000 miles.

Thermostat, top&lower radiator hoses @ 144,000 miles (normal wear & tear).

Spark plugs & plug wire set replacement, transaxle, transfer case, differential flush (s) and door hardware lubrication are my next scheduled preventive/performance maintenance tasks.

Other routine maintenance/wear & tear parts include: brake pads & rotors, tires, oil & air filters, headlamp & tail lamp bulbs, windshield wiper blades, etc.

General Comments:

This vehicle, like anything else you value, is only as good as you take care of it. I don't have extra money to burn these days. Knowing that, I pay closer attention to what my car is or is not doing. I will ask opinions from auto shops/dealers only picking their brain (s) about hints on the repairs/parts. Usually when buying a part, they will be generous on replacement/installation tips.

Learning and doing repairs yourself will save you big $$$

This is especially true with older models. Newer models are engineered in mind that you usually have to purchase specialty tools for the repair. Most new specialty tools are designed for one specific model, meaning that you can't use it for anything else. Brake tools, removal devices and special wrenches are examples of costly specialty tools.

The best investment for anyone could be a vehicle repair/maintenance manual supplemental to the original owners/operation manual.

Review Date: 8th May, 2010

9th May 2010, 05:50

I agree. I have a 277000 Durango that is well maintained. It runs great, uses a quart oil every 5000 miles, and I have to use the power window switch on the drivers side to lower the 1 passenger window. That's it. Maybe I got a great SUV, better than most. I really like it. I have had many new cars over the years and had problems from the onset. This one I hate giving up as I will likely downsize on my next company vehicle; I am keeping this as long as it lasts...

2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4X4 4.7L from North America

Summary:

Best vehicle I've ever owned

It needed a tie rod and new heater core.

The heater core was fairly expensive, since the whole dash must be removed.

Overall, not a repair hog.

General Comments:

I love this truck! I would own another in a heartbeat. It is my favorite vehicle that I have ever owned.

Reliable. Powerful. Comfortable. Would take it anywhere.

Review Date: 27th April, 2010

2000 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9 V8 from North America

Summary:

A nice looking truck with good power, but rides rough and has suspension problems

Rear end went out immediately after purchase, but was fixed under warranty.

Tie rod ends replaced.

Transmission went out and needed replacement.

Uneven wear on tires, and no solution in sight.

Harsh suspension and rides rough.

Noisy truck with wind and road noise.

General Comments:

My Durango is pretty truck with a nice paint job, and I am proud to drive it.

I like the Dodge "big truck" style, and it is a good looking truck.

The interior is well designed and has comfortable features on the inside. However, the transmission has been giving me problems even after replacement.

The truck rides so rough that it isn't a good passenger vehicle, especially for riders in the back seat and third seat area.

I've had trouble keeping tires from prematurely wearing out, and I suspect suspension problems somewhere. This is even after replacing ball joints, heavier grade of shocks, and sway bar attachment hardware. I also replaced the tires.

Review Date: 26th March, 2010