2001 Dodge Ram Pickup Reviews - Page 3 of 13

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 CTD 5.9L turbo diesel from North America

Model year2001
Engine and transmission 5.9L turbo diesel Manual
Previous carDodge Ram Pickup

Summary:

Cheaply built truck from Mexico. But the Cummins turbo diesel is why I bought it

Clutch, vacuum pump, water pump, heater core, entire AC system, VP44 injection pump, clutch master / slave cylinder, both power windows, rebuilt front end twice, new suspension.

In the 46,000 miles and 6 years I've owned this vehicle, everything I expected to go wrong has. So I entered the equation knowing what I was getting into. Each repair/ replacement has been met with OEM or better upgrades to make this truck more bullet proof. I plan on keeping her another 10 years, regardless of mileage, so the repair expenses will amortize over greater time. The engine and transmission have proven reliable thus far; both items that are NOT built by the vehicle manufacturer.

You're on your own if you decide to own a vehicle like this. Study the Cummins forums and learn what works for this truck, and what doesn't.

At then end of the day, I have a good looking rig on an 8" lift and 40" military tires that will pull a house. It would cost me over $75,000 to get the same set up in a brand new vehicle.

General Comments:

Even though this truck is 9 years old, people stop me everywhere I go to comment on her, mostly due to her lift and tires.

Review Date: 3rd November, 2010

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup SLT from North America

Distance when acquired12000 miles
Previous carFord Bronco

Summary:

This truck is a waste of money

New rear end, transmission.

General Comments:

The truck is underpowered, has no torque and pulls terrible. Drinks gas.

Review Date: 17th August, 2010

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad 5.9L Cummins from North America

Model year2001
Engine and transmission 5.9L Cummins Automatic
Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

Dependable, rugged, and will last a long time

The fuel transfer pump started losing pressure at 94,750 miles, as is predicted.

Hard plastic dash board cracked around 80,000 miles.

No other problems.

General Comments:

The power is tremendous. Pulled a 10,000 pound trailer with it for 3 years, and the truck never faltered. The ride is stiff but comfy.

It is a big heavy duty truck and handles as such. My truck was built by the "old" Chrysler Corporation right at the time Daimler Benz took over. Daimler changed things up, and I would not be inclined to buy anything they built under the Chrysler banner. Time will tell if Fiat can bring bring Chrysler back to the Iaccoca glory.

I would recommend any Chrysler product built before 2003. This is the 3rd Chrysler product I have owned, and all have served me reliably for over 10 years each.

Review Date: 26th March, 2010

24th Aug 2011, 00:01

I pull a 15000lbs camper with my 5.9l gas... has no problem pulling it... The 15000lbs is not hitch weight...

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 5.9 Cummins turbo diesel from North America

Engine and transmission 5.9 Cummins turbo diesel Manual

Summary:

Extremely powerful

Nothing.

General Comments:

This truck is an absolute beast at anything.

My buddy has a 2003 Ford Powerstroke, that thing is a total joke. I'm scared to death riding to Walmart in the damn thing, it's so unreliable with NO power to brag about at all. It's pretty sad my 6 pistons will beat all 8 of his at everything.

My truck will pull very heavy trailers up the rocky mountains with no idea that there is anything behind them.

Me and my friend had a pull off with his 6.0 Ford and I was laughing the whole time dragging his junker down the street. All my buddies hate dodges, and all drive Powerstokes, but now they ALL respect the Cummins, and no one says a word about racing me or having a pull off with their 7.3 or 6.0, I have beat all of them and know they don't say a word.

Long live the Cummins, and by the way my truck has never had to go see a mechanic, and ALL my buddies know the shop owners by heart now.

Review Date: 4th August, 2009

16th Dec 2010, 09:47

What does your ability to tow a Ford truck have to do with things like reliability, maintenance cost, frequency, and the overall build of the truck. The Cummins engine is a given, its reputation precedes it. Tell us about what kind of money you've had to put into it, not just if your buddies liked it.

24th Jul 2012, 20:17

The guy above is absolutely right, and who cares how fast a truck is... It's a truck, it ain't supposed to be fast, and your truck only has a little over 90,000; why don't you post a review when you make it to 200,000. Oh sorry, IF you make it to 200,000, or before you're tired of fixing it.