2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 5.9 from North America

Summary:

I am not a happy camper!

I have gone through 8 sets of front brakes with this truck, 3 sets of rotors, 1 caliper, broken springs in the back.

I am on my 3rd set of tires.

Fuel pump, rotted a/c evaporator (what is that design all about?), transmission cooler, front and rear sway bar linkage, 4 sets of spark plugs, 3 sets of wires, 3 distributor caps and rotor - last cap the screws broke in distributor.

Fuel injector rail leaking, steering wheel tilted to one side.

Even the radio stopped working.

Power seat fails.

Rust coming through doors and rear fenders.

Two exhaust systems (one fell right off). Exhaust manifold bolts rusted right off of engine block.

A/C compressor freezes up - must whack with hammer on occasion.

Radiator leaks, must use stop leak.

The door panels rattle, leather seat seams ripped from normal wear and tear.

Overdrive going off on its own.

General Comments:

I am stuck with this truck. I know when I sold my my 1994 Chevy a year ago it had not a spot of rust on it, not a rip in the interior, had 359,000 miles on it, got 18 MPG and is still running the roads. My 1988 Chevy with a 4.3 V6 had 490,000 miles. Both trucks only required the scheduled fluid changes and normal maintenance.

I can't unload this truck -- my wife told me so when I brought it home.

Review Date: 4th August, 2008

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup Quad Cab, Base Model 5.2 318CI from North America

Summary:

Better than any of my Nissan Pickups

Water pump gasket failed at about 74k miles.

Brake Boot failure at 94k caused brake pistons to stop retracting probably.

General Comments:

Great Truck. Has served me well over the 8 years I have owned it, and has been extremely reliable. Comfortable seats, great turning radius, and fantastic passing power.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2008

29th Dec 2009, 04:22

It's a tough looking truck that is full of problems. I would double pay for a Nissan before a buy another Dodge truck... spent half my time at the dealership, and that's why they are out of business now, because they built junk trucks..

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 5.9L from North America

Summary:

Too costly to own (gas and repair issues)

Right around 70,000 miles the transmission started slipping in the lower gears.

At around 150,000 the torque converter seems to be engaging and disengaging at around 60 mph.

I don't know when it started this, but when the engine is working and it's climbing a hill or passing someone, transmission has a high pitch whine.

General Comments:

Afraid to drive it long distances.

Bought another vehicle and only use this truck as a secondary.

Love the looks and roomy inside, but performance is unreliable.

Dealerships are very unreliable and manufacturer is not trustworthy.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2007

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4x4 OFF ROAD 5.9L from North America

Summary:

Trustworthy

TPS or Throttle Position Sensor. Dealer said it was the torque converter and replaced the entire transmission. I asked them repeatedly to check the TPS. After new transmission the same problem existed. It is a jerky/misfire feel also described as a slip or lock up of the torque converter. Happens more frequently in cruise control, but can also happen during normal driving. Mine occurred in freeway driving between 40-65 mph. This is a common problem which people usually mis diagnose. My dealer and one other dealer told me it was the torque converter. Replace the TPS before you do anything else including the PCM program software flash!!

Also broke the rear differential lock up clutch at 70,000.

Front Wheel bearings at 70,000.

General Comments:

Very good car.

Never left me stranded.

Horrible gas mileage.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2007

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup SLT 5.9L from North America

Summary:

Like the way it looks, hate the transmissions

Where to start. Bought 01 ram 1500 with 36000 miles. Drove it 2 months and put in a transfer case. Months after that transmission # 1. Three months later a new torque converter. Now I am waiting on transmission # 2. All repairs were out of my pocket because dodge would not touch my truck being 2,000 miles over warranty.

General Comments:

Dodge needs to step up and give a major recall for the transmissions in these trucks.

Review Date: 4th July, 2007