2001 Dodge Ram Pickup Reviews - Page 2 of 13

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup SLT 5.9L Cummins from North America

Engine and transmission 5.9L Cummins Automatic

Summary:

This truck has some serious issues

What hasn't!!! This has been the most expensive diesel I have ever had the "pleasure" of driving in all the years I have owned towing vehicles.

I buy diesels because they are supposed to be reliable and dependable to drive large trailers up and down the road, without the concerns you may have of a gas engine like lack of POWER (I could barely get my truck to get above 65 pulling my trailer) or overheating (as my truck did more than once while pulling my trailer, a 26ft thoroughbred height Featherlite).

My 7.3L Ford's could pull a 34ft steel trailer up and down the road, and the only thing I had to worry about, other than routine maintenance, was making sure I kept the speed down so I didn't get speeding tickets.

This truck had a bad injector pump, injectors, poor engine altogether (sad, because I really do like the Cummins). Poorly designed brake system that requires frequent replacement of a very high priced braking system. Wiring problems - my reverse lights would never work - wiring harness fried when I hooked onto a trailer for the first time with it. AND the dash cracks if you aren't extremely careful, and it is very expensive to replace, along with the cup holders.

Now - I have no engine because it has completely quit, and I am stuck parting it out, hoping to get enough money out of it to finish paying off the note on it. I may have just got a bad one, but sorry Dodge, I don't think I will try again. I can't afford to.

Review Date: 3rd October, 2011

13th Apr 2012, 20:52

A friend at work just bought a Ford Powerstroke about 1 1/2 years ago. He has had nothing but ongoing problems with it, most of which has luckily been covered under warranty. I can't recall everything, but severe coolant and oil leaks, expensive parts failing in the drive and engine control systems, etc.

The dealer has acted as if none of these are unusual failures. He's sick of taking it back to his dealer, and has said that he wished he had gotten a Dodge Cummins, or kept his older Ford!

So, just another perspective on the situation. Evidently it's not just Dodge.

24th Jul 2012, 20:08

Yeah, probably wasn't a 7.3, so you're just comparing apples to oranges.

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 5.9 from North America

Previous carGMC Pickup

Summary:

Would never buy a Dodge pickup again

Underside is completely rusted, including drive shafts, floor, frame, engine, shocks.

Vacuum is poor, such that the defroster goes on on hills; dealer couldn't fix under warranty.

Has a bearing growl at 75 mph. Averages 12mpg.

General Comments:

Truck has 5.9L, but drags itself along.

Steers poorly, and has hard steering compared to other pickups I've driven.

Seats uncomfortable on long trips.

Review Date: 8th May, 2011

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup SLT 5.9 liter from North America

Engine and transmission 5.9 liter Automatic

Summary:

Should be just used for city driving to look good, but never used for playing

Well at 66000 I replaced my brakes for the second time.

I use the truck for off road, in the mud and water, as well as the snow.

At 75880 miles, I lost the tranny; it just stopped working, so I sent it to the shop, and it cost 3300 dollars to fix it.

All was well until I took my Dodge Ram 1500 out once to the sand dunes where there was water and Mickie mud mix. I lost the transmission after being stuck in the mud and water; that was at 76000 miles. I was stuck for about 5 minutes; after someone pulled me out, I drove one hour and started having problems. Limped it home, towed it to the shop, and that cost me another 3500 dollars.

After fixing that, I was OK with my truck, it never again saw mud and water mix. It only saw some light snow.

At 108000 miles, the rear end started to go out, and now I am faced with the dilemma of repairing that. After what I have been reading, I will fix this truck and sell it. I will not buy another Dodge Ram 1500 that is under the age of 2010.

The water pump went at 60000 miles. I have always kept up with a well maintained truck. This one was not made to do anything but stay on the road, and never be taken out four wheeling.

I had a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500, and it was tough, hardy and full of fun four wheeling every weekend with no glitches. The new one sucked.

So that is my story, I have loved Dodge up until this 2001 truck. So as I sit looking at how I am going to fix this one now, it will be tough. I am in college and it's hard with no money from no work. Just school. But oh well, I'll make it. As soon as I fix this pile of crap, I will get rid of it.

Thanks for reading, David.

General Comments:

Good for nothing truck.

Maintained and care is high.

However the comfort of the truck with power everything was great.

Poor truck for work.