2001 Dodge Ram Pickup Ram 1500 5.9 from North America

When the truck is moving forward, I can feel a slight thump in the steering wheel. Also, while stopping the truck the thump is more pronounced. The same feeling is present when taking off from a stand still. The dealer says the problem is in the steering column bearings.

I never noticed this problem until I put new tires on the truck. I put the same size tires on that came with it when I bought it. Also the thump is felt when turning to the right or left while going forward. Has any one else out there experienced a problem like this with the 2001 dodge ram 1500?

Review Date: 16th September, 2005

3rd Jan 2006, 22:14

I have the exact same problem with my dodge 1500 (2001). Have yet to bring it to the dealer. Will do so soon because the sound is getting irritating.

14th Jan 2011, 14:29

Complete piece of garbage. Trans problems, no bus code, keeps going unreliable. Never getting a Dodge again.

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup Ram 1500 4x4 Off Road 5.9L V8 Magnum from North America

Summary:

Awesome for an avid outdoors man

Needed new front end after hitting small dip in a hunting road at 50km/h. $1800 Canadian later it was fixed.

General Comments:

Awesome truck and a lot better than my crappy old ranger I had. Too bad the gas mileage isn't better.

Review Date: 26th August, 2005

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 3.9L V6 from North America

Summary:

Been very good to me. Treat your truck well, and it will return the favor

It's not the truck's fault - I moved to California, the truck is still in Texas (anybody want it? x123ray@yahoo.com). Once in California I wanted a MINI. If you need something small, tiny, and 30 mpg or more - you're not looking at trucks, you're looking at subcompacts.

General Comments:

This is the first auto I bought myself brand new. At the time, my two requirements were CHEAP and SAFE. I couldn't find a safer vehicle for the money. Seriously.

I've been pleased. This truck has moved me many times, performed well in the heat and humidity of Texas summers, and done anything I asked of it without hesitation.

The interior is brand new - you can't tell the difference between this and a new truck - and I'm not a neat freak.

It is very easy to work on this truck - I changed the oil, spark plugs, etc. There's lots of room to work with, very clean, and well organized. Granted the spark plugs aren't as easy as the new Mazda 3i... but still everyone's impressed when I open the hood.

If you want a big truck, this is the most bang for your buck. I also drive the V6 manual version - 20+ mpg - which is excellent for a truck of this size.

I love the 2001 styling on the Dodge Ram... it doesn't disappoint - you feel the power and want to make the "grrr" Tim Allen noise

In comparison to Ford F150 and Toyota Tacoma (the only other trucks I've had), you can't get either for the price. Tacoma isn't full size (includes the people room, really it's for tiny people) but will run forever. F150 rides and feels more like a passenger car. Chevy isn't as safe (the front has a habit of squishing the passengers). If you want a real truck, go with a Dodge.

And oh, MSN rates the reliability as 5 out of 5, the highest you can get. Same for safety too.

Review Date: 7th July, 2005

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Sport 5.9L from North America

Summary:

I would only get rid of mine for another if it was exactly the same but a quad cab.

The only thing to go wrong so far has been the vacuum line for the front Axel to pull it in and out of 4WD, it melted in half from the exhaust.

General Comments:

The 2001 Sports look awesome and has lots of power. The Interior is nice and comfortable.

It's a gas hog, but it is worth it for the power and look.

No major transmission problems with my truck maybe I got lucky with a good one or other people just don't know how to drive a truck.

Review Date: 17th June, 2005

18th Oct 2005, 11:51

Exactly! Folks need to learn how to use their tools (truck) properly and not complain when failure comes from abuse. If you want bigger tires, regear the truck. If you want to pull a trailer, regear and install an aftermarket larger transmission oil pan. Don't abuse your truck and they won't abuse you.