1991 Eagle Talon TSi DOHC 2.0L turbo AWD from North America

Summary:

Learn to wrench first, then buy one.

Had the car for 10 minutes and the nut fell off the A\C tensioner pulley, shredding two accessory belts.

Overdrive slips when engaged. Transmission spins like it's in neutral when OD button is pressed.

Heater hose burst open after 4 days.

Thermostat seized after 5 days.

Raised the car with the stock scissor jack and one side of the jack cracked and broke sending the car down on its driver's side rotor. VERY DANGEROUS! No damage, phew...

Car burns oil very rapidly. Smokes so bad that it can fill an intersection if I'm parked at a red light long enough. Yet to figure out cause.

General Comments:

I have owned this car for two weeks and it has been nothing but headaches.

I would most likely sell it if it didn't look and perform like the race car of my dreams. That is, when it's actually running...

Really fun on the highway, but watch for those cops.

Review Date: 3rd July, 2003

4th Aug 2003, 22:41

After reading your comments I've come to a conclusion. You bought a scrap car. How much did you pay for it: $1100?? What would you expect? I'm sure that you could visually see that the car was in bad shape, the hoses were probably all dried and cracked. Plus. you should have did an over all check of you're vehicle to look for things such as loose bolts.

I paid just over $5000 for my '91 TSI last year, and it was in almost perfect condition. It had a lot of miles on it, but the body was in great shape as well as the interior and the engine. The only thing is that you have to keep up on the maintenance for these cars.

If you would pay about $1000 for any car you should expect it to be in bad, if not horrible condition!

3rd Nov 2009, 13:49

Hey, I'm looking for some parts, but I can't find anything.

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 2.0 turbo from North America

Summary:

High performance, high maintenance

Problems that I have had with my car.

Window tracking problem.

Oil leaking problem.

Poor struts.

Valve cover leak.

Clutch problems.

Manual transmission grinds.

Starter problems.

Oxygen sensor went out.

Maintenance that has been done:

Rotors/pads were replaced at 118k miles by American Tire.

Lithia did an engine rebuild at 120k miles.

Hales Technical installed a new ACT2600 clutch at 124k miles.

Quick Lube flushed coolant and refilled at 124k miles.

I went ahead and replaced the starter at 125k miles.

Lithia replaced all belts... A/C belt, P/S belt, timing belt etc at 130k miles.

Lithia replaced oil filter O-ring at 130k miles, and changed the oil at the same time.

I replaced my oxygen sensor at 130k miles.

I replaced my valve cover at 131k miles.

I replaced my transmission fluid with GM synchromesh at 131k miles.

The turbo went out at 130k miles. I replaced the turbo with factory turbo, and then the car died on me 5 blocks later, and the car wouldn't start. Had to take it to a shop to get it fixed.

General Comments:

This car is an awesome car, due to the All Wheel Drive and turbo. However, if you don't have money, I suggest keeping the car completely stock, and I do mean completely! If you mod the car as I have, you will run into huge problems, and it will become a money pit.

Review Date: 26th May, 2003

1991 Eagle Talon TSi 2.0 turbo sharged V6, 260 hp from North America

Summary:

A fast, high performance, good looking bargain

I needed to replace the axles after 1000km.

I had to replace the alternator after 1100Km.

Had to replace fuel filter after 2000 Km.

General Comments:

This is the fastest car I have ever ridden in, especially for its age and price range.

Very affordable.

Makes you look and feel very superior and chic!

Review Date: 16th February, 2003

5th Jun 2003, 01:54

You bought a used 12 year old car and had to replace the alternator at 1100 km... but how old was the alternator that you replaced? Same with everything else.

4th Aug 2003, 22:31

I have a '91 TSI. I only had it for a short while before needing to replace the Alternator. But that can't reflect you're opinion of the car. You're Alternator could have been 10 years old by the time you got the car.

One question for you though, where did you find a V6 Talon with 260 HP?? That's quite the feet.. Seeing how the Talons were all 4 Cylinder with about 200 HP in the TSI.