1991 Eagle Talon TSi 2.0 turbo 16v from Puerto Rico

Summary:

If you do not have the money do not buy it

Valve cover gasket leaked & valve cover bolts treads were strip when I bought it.

Front rotors needed to be cut and were making a severe vibration when braking also the vibration damaged the rack and pinion bushings and had to be replaced.

Rear wheel brakes calipers guides were rusted and the pads were bent.

Water pump was leaking and had to be replaced.

Top balance shaft broke and stopped spinning and I had to replace both timing belts. And the engine front sproket and the front balance shaft bearing and seals.

Front struts were bad and had to be replaced.

Now the engine has a severe blow by so every time I hit the gas hard it will spit the oil from the dipstick.

The electric mirrors do not work.

Engine idle is to low and the oil pressure light will come on and nobody seems to know how to fix this problem.

General Comments:

This car is extremely good looking maybe that's why I keep it. If you going to buy one I suggest that you buy it from a private owner rather than a dealer.

Review Date: 29th December, 2002

1991 Eagle Talon 2.0 from North America

Summary:

I can't wait to get a more reliable kick in the pants ride

Motor 1: broken timing belt shortly after replacing at scheduled time.

Motor 2: another poorly placed timing belt; ECM; starter; air conditioning recharge; unexplained motor vibration, causing transmission to pull away from motor;

Motor 3: front axles; replaced timing belt (correctly this time), along with hydraulic tensioner; water pump; bad counter-balance shaft bearing; alternator; sudden, unexplained, and dramatic loss of oil;

Motor 4: another ECM; coil pack.

Have had two transmissions - synchros problem shifting to second with each.

Radio no longer has ability to pick up stations.

General Comments:

Great deal of fun to drive when working properly. However, these times have been few and far between.

Good in snow also.

Review Date: 27th December, 2002

23rd Jan 2006, 08:40

When all this stuff started with your car, how many miles did you have on it, because I have a 91 Eagle Talon, and I have already replaced the spark plugs, engine coolant hoses, and a crank sensor that cost me like 500 dollars.

1991 Eagle Talon TSI FWD 2.0 turbo from North America

Summary:

A finicky bird of prey

Replaced the timing belt and assembly, at 170000kms.This included tensioner's, belts, and water-pump.

Rebuilt the head, resulting from worn valve guides and the need to re-seat the valves (typical with high kilos).

Painted the mirrors, as the clear coat flaked off.

The computer has difficulty calibrating for colder temperatures, causing erratic idle speeds (inherent problem in need of fixing).

General Comments:

There is a serious lack of workspace under the hood, though this is not dissimilar of any other Japanese car.

Timing belt replacement efficiency is especially hindered by the under-provided space.

I opted for the front wheel drive over the all wheel drive for a few reasons. Firstly, the FWD is 2 tenths of a second faster in the quarter than an AWD (Lighter). Secondly, the FWD has better fuel efficiency. Lastly, the transfer case on the AWD are prone to problems. Unfortunately I give up the better handling of an AWD.

This car is crazy fast. I've taken down Mustangs, Camaros', Civics, and the '95 Talon, in convincing fashion.

The interior is equally as appealing as the exterior. It's like sitting in the cockpit of an F1 car. Very cool!

Review Date: 8th October, 2002

1st Jul 2003, 14:28

A stock AWD is faster in the 1/4 mile then a stock FWD. AWD weighs more, but theres a huge traction difference there.

3rd Nov 2005, 22:22

Actually, from what I've read, the fwd is faster in the 1/ mile not only because of weight, but because of a loss of power through dispersion to four wheels. I've also experinced it first hand, as my awd has lost to fwd talon's in the past.

1991 Eagle Talon TSi 2.0 Turbocharged from Germany

Summary:

A very useful high performance car

The engine had to be replaced (rebuilt) after 120,000 miles.

The seats faded much over 100,000 miles.

I got the transmission replaced after 130,000 miles.

I replaced the head gasket 1 time after 130,000 miles.

Everything else held up perfectly like it should.

I only changed 1 light bulb on the whole entire car after 10 years if hard usage!

General Comments:

I have been racing a serious amount of people since I had this car, and I only lost only 1 race, which was a 1997 Pontiac Firebird, and at the time my turbo was at advanced age.

I put awe on some people's faces from such great performance.

This car is seriously a package that has astonishment written all over it.

Review Date: 9th July, 2002

27th May 2003, 21:06

I just got a talon and I smoked my friends 2002 gtp. You just have to learn how to drive better.

4th Sep 2004, 09:06

Dude, I don't know what you're smokin, but I don't see how a 1988 Cavalier Z24 could beat a turbo Talon. And as far as only being beat once, all I can say is you must be racing a bunch of Geo Metros. There are tons of Mustangs, Camaros, Pontiacs, etc that could blow the doors off a talon in a minute. Talons are fast for 4-cylinder cars, but don't get carried away here.