1991 Eagle Talon Reviews

Year of manufacture1991
First year of ownership1996
Engine and transmission turbo Manual
Previous carChevrolet Celebrity

Summary:

Best little speed demon out there!

Had basic repair work done such as oil changes, air filter changes, and fuel filter changes.

New alternator at 85,000 miles.

General Comments:

Speedy little car. The turbo kicks it up a notch when speed is needed.

After 20 years, this little girl is still getting 27mpg in town and 29mpg on the highway.

Interior is still in good shape.

Hoping she'll last until I can put antique plates on her.

Review Date: 3rd October, 2010

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder from North America

Year of manufacture1991
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carMazda MX5

Summary:

A great performer for the money

Power steering pump is leaking somewhere.

Oil is leaking also.

Cruise control holds speed seemingly by feathering the throttle. I'm not sure if this is normal of early cruise control systems, as this is the first car I've owned with the option.

General Comments:

Aside from some paint and basic bodywork, this car is exactly the same as the Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX and Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD.

First year that the automatic was available with the TSi AWD.

Last year of the 6-bolt engine, thought to be immune to the infamous crankwalk.

Last year of the pop-up headlights.

My grandfather bought this car brand new in 1992, and had the drivetrain and suspension rebuilt at about 77,000 miles. That means engine, turbocharger, transmission, transfer case, differentials, brakes, shocks and springs.

Paint was also professionally redone.

Car drives like new.

Seats are fully adjustable, but weren't comfortable after a two hour ride.

Rear seats are for shelf space or small children only.

Interior plastics are decent, but not up to par with modern cars. Some trim, such as the A pillar and the left factory side skirt are starting to come off. This is to be expected from an 18 year old Mitsubishi.

All accessories are well within reach and the layout is unique. I love it.

Dash layout is easy to read and not too cluttered. I dig the orange backlighting, too.

The only thing I don't like about the interior is that the automatic shifter is huge and sticks way up in the air. It was obviously added as an afterthought.

A combination of red paint and a relative rarity in first generation DSMs means this car turns heads! Most people are surprised to hear that the car is 18 years old.

This car is popular with younger people, a.k.a. whippersnappers. Lots of kids with ratty Hondas will want to race you.

The cars equipped with the 4-speed automatic came with a smaller turbocharger and different camshafts, so power is bumped down to 180bhp compared to the manual transmission version's 195bhp. However, the car is still faster than much younger cars.

The AWD puuuuuuuulls the car forward like it's being attracted by a big magnet.

There is some lag from the turbo. You can feel the boost build up as you are pushed back into your seat a little harder.

The car does understeer a little due to the AWD.

It also has the turning radius of a walrus, and many U-turns become 3-point turns. Be careful.

Regardless, the handling feel is good and the car took sharp corners well above the recommended speed. Body roll was minimal even with stock suspension. I'm told small aftermarket modifications, such as better tires and stiffer anti-sway bars, will make the car handle much better.

Braking is instant with good pedal feel.

Review Date: 21st October, 2009

1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD 2.0 MPI turbo from North America

Year of manufacture1990
Engine and transmission 2.0 MPI turbo Manual
Most recent distance203000 miles
Previous carOldsmobile Cutlass

Summary:

LOVE DSM!

When I bought the car, it did not run. The motor had dropped a valve and shredded the block. Not the motor's fault, the idiot who rebuilt the head did not adjust the valves properly.

So I got the car cheap and bought another that had been wrecked. I pulled the needed parts off of that one, and sold it to a junk yard for what I paid for it. Free car!

So far I have replaced the front brake calipers and nothing more than routine maintenance.

General Comments:

The cars don't handle great at high speeds; could be better, but we're talking about a 91 here.

These cars are extremely quick. Some mods done to mine, but 90 percent stock. I have killed a couple Mustangs!

It is comfortable in the front. I would hate to ride in the back though.

I wanted to post this because I read one review that a guy wrote that totally bashed on the car. The fact that he said they were slow was wrong. It's called a LEMON. Besides he bought a car that was almost 20 years old. What did he expect?

But really, my car has been very reliable. I have never gone out to it for work, and had it not start. I drive it a least 80 miles a day, 5 days a week or more for the past 4 years. And let me tell you, I have beat the crap out it! LOL.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2009

16th Dec 2009, 20:42

I have owned my 91 Talon AWD turbo for 10 years now, it is the best car I have ever owned. Completely stock except for lambo doors and tinted windows. For all those who say these cars are junk, look at the people driving and maintaining them. I have never had any issues with the car, it has 235,000km, and I expect it to go 400,000 without any major problems. Don't drive the crap out of them, regular maintenance, and all is well.