1989 Ford Bronco II XL 2.9L V6 from North America

Summary:

It's a keeper

When I bought my Bronco 2, I paid 2800$ for it, knowing that it needed a new clutch. I paid 189$ for the clutch, and installed it at a local shop myself.

Other than the clutch, nothing has gone wrong with my Bronco 2.

General Comments:

The Bronco 2 is everything I would imagine in a mid-size 4x4. It has amazing comfort, and just enough power to crawl through some of the roughest terrain in B.C. It is just an amazing off road vehicle, with its small body and short wheel base, which allows it to go places most other vehicles won't go.

Parts for the Bronco 2 are cheap and easy to install.

With its 2.9L V6 engine with just over 150-160hp, the Bronco 2 has the right enough power for anyone to have fun, while still being a fuel efficient vehicle.

I haven't done much to my Bronco, other than installing a sound system, and throwing on bigger tires and a lift, and it looks great.

The Bronco 2 has a great look overall, and is a great vehicle to drive.

Review Date: 15th October, 2006

15th Dec 2006, 20:11

I thought the same way as you when I first bought my bronco, but now I think they deserve to be scrap metal, You should just buy an impala or something.

24th Dec 2006, 20:22

Yes I agree that the bronco deserves to be scrap metal, I am much more happy with my 71 impala.

1989 Ford Bronco II XLT 2.9L V6 from North America

Summary:

A Diamond in the Rough

Things gone wrong...

First, the starter went out after about 6 months.

Second, the water pump started to leak and soon after, the leak turned into a gaping river of engine coolant. This happened a little after a year.

Third, the radiator started to crack near the upper radiator hose. As time went on, the crack started to get bigger and eventually I had to replace the radiator. Got the radiator from radiator.com for like 60 or 70 bucks! Oh and the upper radiator hose blew.

Other than the mechanical problems, the A/C doesn't work, driver's door does not open from the inside, the emergency brake doesn't work, and the springs on the back door don't hold when it's open.

General Comments:

Although the car sounds like a beater, it gets me from point A to B. I bought the car for 1500 two years ago, and it was well worth it.

This is my first truck, and I absolutely love the fact that going over curbs won't ruin the front axles. My last car was a Honda Civic, and I went over a curb at 30mph and broke the front axle.

The Bronco II has had its ups and downs, but for a 16 year old car that still runs, I would say that it's a great truck.

Review Date: 13th March, 2006

16th Aug 2010, 20:27

My 89 Bronco II has 330,000 miles on her. 89 and later are great rigs especially since they don't have the rust issue like the previous years.

1989 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 4x4 2.9L 177 V6 from North America

Summary:

Reliable Little Truck!

A/C has leaks.

Minor seal leak.

Hood and Roof paint have peeled off.

General Comments:

I drive 50 miles R/T to work and another 20 miles R/T to school. I never expected this SUV would be this reliable. I got this from a local used car dealer and got it for only $900. According to the dealer, there was a problem in the transmission and that it makes a loud noise when the SUV was in first or second gear. I still bought the SUV because I knew it wasn't the transmission, instead it was the catalytic cover that was loose. Because it's a 17 year old SUV, all it needs is a little care and a little attention. I have replaced the belts, the lubricants, filters, etc. Shockingly, when I replaced the spark plugs, I found out that the wires were still the original 1989 Ford wires and so was the cap/rotor for the distributor. Wow! The 4x4 is still working properly and this SUV just makes me a happy Ford-man each time I see Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Nissan or even Mercedes stranded on the freeway.

Review Date: 7th February, 2006