1989 Ford Bronco II XL 2.9 from North America

Summary:

Has been a great father &son project.

Fuel pump & tank.

Complete rear brake job, including rebuilding of wheel cylinders.

Rear shock absorbers.

Passenger side engine freeze plug.

Engine started to have valve train rattle at 161,000 miles, also had engine knock at same time. Engine replace with a used 2.9 engine.

All new tires.

General Comments:

The Bronco II sat for almost 2 years in a guys driveway at the time of purchase..

At the time of purchase we charged the battery, inflated the flat tires and drove her home..

The engine died, due to lack of maintenance by the previous owner.

Review Date: 26th September, 2004

1989 Ford Bronco II XL 2.9 Liter from North America

Summary:

Nothing like the Ford Bronco II, a lot of bite for a little SUV

I ended up blowing the transmission because I didn't realize I had a leak until it was too late, and that was at 120,000 miles.

Other than that I had to replace the radiator about 3 months after I bought it.

General Comments:

I loved my Ford Bronco II up until the last day I had it. It handles very well and was extremely comfortable. I was in 3 accidents with it and it wasn't totaled until the last accident. The Bronco II is built like a tank. Unfortunately, the last accident I was in I rolled it, so it is destroyed. However, despite the severity of the accident it held up pretty well. I was towing another vehicle and the trailer I was towing blew a tire. Despite that accident I always felt safe in it and plan on buying another one. I love the interior of the vehicle, it was just right not to small, not too big and extremely comfortable. I cried when it was hauled off to the junkyard. Despite what I have heard about the 2.9 liter engine. I never had any problems with mine, it always started right up and there were no valve taps or ticks. In my opinion this is one of the best SUVs of all time.

Review Date: 20th July, 2004

1989 Ford Bronco II XLT 2.9L V6 from North America

Summary:

A wonderful, reliable vehicle - maybe one of Ford's best!

Here are all the repairs to this vehicle:

1) two water pumps (1997, 2001)

2) one radiator replacement (2001)

3) shocks (2001)

4) two exhaust systems

5) transmission rebuild under warranty at 60K miles

6) tuned up three times

7) brakes at 90K and again at 220K

8) alternator at 232K miles

9) valve cover gaskets at 190K miles.

A/C stopped working five years ago.

General Comments:

I can't believe the low maintenance and high reliability of this truck. Many people ask me why I still have it... because it still starts, gets me where I'm going and back with little maintenance.

This vehicle has to be one of Ford's best!!

Review Date: 6th December, 2003

1989 Ford Bronco II XL 2.9 from North America

Summary:

Probably one of the best decisions I have made buying a vehicle

The drivers seat broke.

The passenger side headlight leaked.

General Comments:

While on a trip, the oil sending unit failed,loosing all the oil in the engine. I replaced the sending unit for about $12,replaced the oil (i use synthetic, so an oil change is around $45, but trust me it's worth it), fineshed my trip and have never had anotherproblem.

Review Date: 20th September, 2003

1989 Ford Bronco II XL Sport 2.9 from North America

Summary:

This truck owes me nothing and is still a looker!

Cracked head, replaced under warranty, 80,000.

New fuel pump, 126,000, but I think it was because I wasn't changing my fuel filter as often as I should have.

Valve cover gaskets replaced once. It's time again. (oil leak)

All the normal maintenance stuff, 2 starters, 1 alternator, fan clutch, universal joints in front axles.

Rear drive-shaft at 260,000. (Expensive!)

General Comments:

It's a black exterior (Ford calls it Raven Black),with silver plastic accents (Ford calls them "ground effects") along the bottom 10 inches. The inside is grey. It has stock mag wheels, you know the ones that Ford offered. It also has a brush guard with fog lights that was standard with this model. (Note: When the fog lights are on, and you switch the headlights to high beams, the fog lights are switched off automatically!)

I've been asked to sell it, but I can't. To me it's a classic, because they haven't been produced since 1990, and it still turns heads.

Review Date: 24th July, 2003