1989 Ford Bronco II 2.9 from North America

Summary:

Love it and I don't want to part with it

The only problem I have had is with the hydraulic clutch. The clutch has been replaced 3 times. Every clutch has lasted about 3 years. I have been driving a standard transmission for 35 years. My prior Bronco II traveled 198,000 miles on the original clutch.

Water pump replaced at 225,000 miles, original pump.

Fuel pump and gas tank replaced at 215,000 miles, both original.

Radiator replaced at 195,000 miles, original radiator.

Back area is now starting to rust at 225,000 miles.

General Comments:

This has got to be the greatest vehicle produced by Ford. I paid 7000 for it in 1996 and have averaged under 1000.00 per year for the last 9 years in repair costs. This includes tires, battery, oil changes and all routine maintenance.

Gas mileage still averages at 24 mpg.

Not the best ride, but has never left me stranded a remote road when looking for a hiking trail-head.

Review Date: 4th May, 2005

3rd Jun 2011, 08:21

I bought my 1989 Bronco II six years ago for $500. The engine had 238,000 miles on it. I had this engine overhauled and it now has 22,000 miles of new wear. The clutch assembly was also replaced as well as a few other components (brakes, tires, etc.) With 260,000 miles total on the vehicle, the transfer case finally broke at the point of connection to the rear drive shaft. In lieu of the obvious miles recorded, the Bronco II has really proven itself to me, and may be one of the best vehicles Ford ever made.

1989 Ford Bronco II XLT 2.9 from North America

Summary:

This truck is not expensive to keep, but it must be taken care of

I have had the water pump replaced, it wasn't expensive, I have had the transmission flushed because of rough gear change, I had the gas tank replaced, because of leakage, and then the gas pump had to be replaced. I have had valve cover gasket seals put on and a transmission pan seal. The transmission mount and front motor mount was replace, as well as basic maintenence;breaks, oil change etc.

General Comments:

The truck has had problems, but she has done me well. The dash board gages on the right corner do not work, witch isn't good for the owner, I cannot tell how much gas is in the truck. The a/c system works very well and has been changed over, it was inexpensive. The body on this truck is very sturdy, I recently had an accident and she held up well, replacement parts were not very expensive, few came from the junk yard and are not hard to find. When driving on the highway this truck handles very well, she can get up on the road with the best of them and it's great for going out of town, just watch the gas.

Review Date: 7th February, 2005

1989 Ford Bronco II XL Sport 2.9 V6 from North America

Summary:

Slow and solid like a tank

The driveshaft broke about seven times from towing a heavy caravan.

The engine head cracked at only 55,000 miles. It has been repaired under warranty.

Lots of rust.

The clutch has seen better days.

It always leaked antifreeze fluid below -20 degrees Fahrenheit. (from new)

General Comments:

This truck has been used for towing a caravan most of its life. Then for a few years we used it as an off-road truck exclusively. Now I simply use it as a winter beater, the worse treatment you can ever give to a car here in Montreal, Canada. As it's a 4X4 and sits pretty high, it's very easy to drive during a snow storm. The body is rusted like crazy and water gets inside about everywhere. That said, I must say I'm totally amazed by this truck for the fact that it started right up for it's whole life even in polar temperatures. This truck has been used like a truck should be and I guess that's why it's not impressed by any mistreatment!

Review Date: 26th January, 2005

7th May 2007, 17:18

I must say that comment was generally the way my 1989 Bronco II 4x4 performs in the winter. Granted, like yours, it has a lot of rust, but overall it's a beast. I paid only $400 (it was $1,400, but my mother had paid $1,000 of it, so I literally only had to pay the difference out of pocket), but it's an amazing truck. It has certainly changed my thinking about Ford products, or at least their trucks anyway. As for their sports cars, that's another story.

25th Jun 2007, 01:54

Well I have not really drove mine yet, but I have seen it and it looks nice. Not to shabby for a 1989 truck. mine is a 4 speed manual (I love the shifting) anyway the previous owner said it runs real good, but with minor problems such as the gauge cluster lights don't work and the exhaust is falling off in addition to the truck not starting right away under cold temps. couple other small things wrong, but "hey" nothing I can't get fixed for dirt cheap.