1989 Ford Bronco II from North America

Summary:

Go with a different SUV

There are several rust parts on the passenger side door- despite waxes and being kept in a garage.

The gas tank started to leak in 2000, and it cost $400 to replace it.

The muffler had to be replaced.

The 4 wheel drive acts up a lot. Sometimes it works, while other times it will kick and click.

The paint is chipping in the front and all around above the doors.

The air conditioning is shot.

The radio knobs fell off, which shouldn't matter because the speakers blew.

The best... my tire actually popped off on the express way. Luckily, I was not speeding and got over. I'm only 18, so it was pretty scary.

Broncos are known rollers which always scares me when I take turns.

The fuel economy is awful. It is the biggest gas guzzler- you couldn't imagine.

When going over bumps, it jar's your guts. It's very uncomfortable over any little imperfection in the road.

The keyless entry stopped working.

General Comments:

My dad bought this car from a lady who babied it. It was in good condition then. He had for a few years, then gave it to me when I turned 16. He has shelled tons of time and money into that car. We're selling it now because he bought me a ford probe- hopefully it won't have any real problems. The Bronco was always very well taken care of, but I guess after so many years and miles, things starts becoming crap on it.

I will say that the heat is great, the seat are comfortable, and it feels like a sturdy SUV.

Review Date: 19th May, 2002

24th Feb 2011, 21:45

I would have to disagree, the Bronco 2 is known for getting good gas mileage, 18-22 mpg. If yours is a gas pig, something's wrong with it.

1989 Ford Bronco II XLT 2.9 V6 from North America

Summary:

Quick, hardworking 4x4 truck!

My brake light went out, but that was very easy to replace. Low on oil once maybe, but that's it.

General Comments:

This Bronco II is excellent. I'm gonna drop in a bigger engine. 5.0 V8. It's a Limited Edition Off-Road Edition. Only a few hundred of these were made. So I really do consider myself lucky.

Review Date: 25th April, 2002

1989 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 2.9L V6 from North America

Summary:

No hotrodding the car unless it's rebuilt for it

The transmission blew at 173,000 miles due to hot roding.

Power steering seals leak.

Leaked a little oil from valve covers and lower intake gaskets.

Has leaked transmission fluid ever since I've owned the vehicle, but progressed from then.

Poor powering from the alternator. Just not strong enough for accessories like heavy car audio equipment.

The black was repainted because of rust on the roof and hood.

The hood prop located to the driver's side was too short and when propped made the hood bend, so I eliminated that with hood pins to latch the hood and hydraulic lift arms.

Driver's seat has some wear to the outside of it.

General Comments:

I was starving for speed when I went from an '89 Mustang 5.0 LX with mods, to a '69 GMC pickup with a 400 4 bolt main, then to the Bronco II.

I took the heads off and had them ported and polished, a valve job, the upper and lower intakes ported and polished, new Holy 28 lbs an hour injectors, but the fuel pump wasn't strong enough for the injectors at full power.

Spring Break 2001 I bought N.O.S. pro shot 75 + stage 1 and installed it myself. Before N.O.S. the car had 179 HP up to 227 with NOS compared to the stock 140, but the transmission wasn't strong enough for that and blew it out after my trip to Daytona beach on spring break. I was hoping on a custom setup supper charger.

After the new black paint I had silver racing stripes painted down the center of the car and added traction bars. Didn't get new wheels, although I had Pirelli's on the factory alloy rims.

I did all that with this car cause I thought it would be a very unique car and turn a lot of heads.

Review Date: 28th February, 2002

20th Oct 2006, 16:59

How much did all of that cost you? Do you still have all that stuff in your vehicle? I would never do anything like you just mentioned to a Bronco II. I want mine setup for mudding, not street racing.