1989 Ford Bronco II XLT 2.9 ltr V6 efi from North America

My truck is the most reliable vehicle ever made!

The radio portion of the stereo broke in 1991, but the cassette player still works great.

The first time it wouldn't start was in May 1993 at 96,000 - the fuel pump needed to be replaced.

The water pump started to leak slightly in November 1996 at 116,000, so I had it replaced.

The second time it wouldn't start was in December 2002- the starter needed to be replaced.

General Comments:

I bought it new. It has run like new for 14 years with almost no repairs. Most the miles are local. It has the original clutch which I think is so great since many guys say a woman can't drive a stick. The air conditioner works great. The front brakes were done at 89,000 and the back ones at 142,000. It doesn't burn any oil. The tires wear evenly with the first set replaced at 98,000. 4WD works great in the mud. Exterior looks decent, interior a little lived in.

Review Date: 17th May, 2003

1989 Ford Bronco II XLT 2.9 Liter from North America

I have had this car for over 13 years so most of the routine minor stuff has been changed out, including the engine and the transmission; however, the body and the interior remain in great condition. I had over 240,000 miles on the original engine and over 230,000 on the transmission before I changed those items out.

General Comments:

This is not a perfect vehicle, but it is a great vehicle.

I couldn't stand to part with it when I wore out the original engine after over 240,000 miles, so I decided it was worth the investment to replace the engine to keep this fine vehicle on the road.

It is extremely agile, easy to park and quite comfortable.

I consider it a safe vehicle, the window design, that wraps around the vehicle with little obstruction on the sides, helps to ensure safe driving.

The seats, what can I say, they are so comfortable, like my favorite recliner.

I have a couple late model vehicles, but they just don't seem to provide the level of comfort that the old Bronco II provides.

Review Date: 15th March, 2003

13th Jul 2003, 09:51

Oh no, go ahead and work on it! I mentioned it might be time to trade my '89 Bronc when the engine started knocking (243,000 miles), but my mechanic told me to just drop another one in it and it would probably go for another five or six years at least! I love my truck and plan to do just that.

25th Jun 2004, 01:05

What's up!! I just purchased a 2WD 89 Bronco 2 XLT for 650 dollars. Turned out the engine was a gonner. Borrowed 3000 dollars from my boss for all parts and labor. This baby has nice paint, no rust, not one dent, nice rims, new tires. But I was a little worried that I should have got a newer car. But after hearing all these good reviews, I'm feeling a bit better. Thanks dudes!!! Ride on Bronco, ride on!!!

1989 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 2.9L V6 from North America

Coolest truck ever!

In thirteen years, remarkably few things have gone wrong.

Only one real breakdown when the oil pressure gage sending unit blew out at about 80,000 miles(costs only a few dollars).

Original Firestone tires kept getting leaks from small nail punctures, so switched to Good Year with no problems since.

Replaced the battery a few times.

Replaced the starter and clutch once.

Replaced the alternator twice.

Replaced the valve cover gaskets once.

General Comments:

My all-time favorite vehicle.

It's still a great-looking truck and incredibly fun to drive.

I love the 5-speed manual transmission. Very smooth. It's the original and I've had no problems with it.

Seats are still comfortable. I like them better than the huge motorized seats Explorers come with these days.

Review Date: 12th March, 2003

1989 Ford Bronco II XLT 2x4 2.9 LTR from North America

No failures of any kind.

Thermal fan clutch had to be replaced at 142900 miles and that's all.

Performed regular oil changes at 3 -4 thousand each. (Castrol 10W30)

This vehicle is driven hard and uses low octane fuel. (Phillips 66)

Average mileage per day - 50 miles.

Average mileage - 20 miles / Gallon.

Review Date: 17th February, 2003