1989 Ford Bronco II XLT 4X4 2.9L V6 from North America

Summary:

Get an automatic in these vehicles

The car has had 2 transmissions installed. The first time was rebuilt by Cotman Transmission and the second time was shipped in from another transmission shop.

The transmission isn't reliable enough for towing. It's the FM-146 5spd.

The Power Steering pump is throwing fluid from the front seal.

When we got the car it was losing rear axle gear oil from the left-rear axle seal and the axle was worn into from wear.

A/C was not working when I got it. The refrigerent Leaked out earlier before I got it.

Headlights fill up with water.

Poor powering from the altenator on any Bronco II I've ever seen.

It's a very rough ride with the swaying side to side when on rough terrain.

The paint on the roof and hood is practically rust. Nothing I can do about that now except paint it.

General Comments:

It's a stout little vehicle. Too bad it has had the known problems with the transmission and the lack of power for towing.

The interior is still in nice condition after I cleaned it up really good. Previous owner didn't clean it at all.

The paint that is left on the sides and back hatch is still nice after wax and buff. It's a nice looking ride when cleaned.

The car is a reliable car as far as start and go when there is a good transmission in it.

So far, the car is still rocking and rolling down the road.

After 211,110 miles. the engine is still very tight. It is very "mechanically sound."

Review Date: 28th February, 2002

2nd Mar 2002, 08:24

I don't know why you say the 2.9 doesn't have any power. We have a 1987 Ford Ranger with a 2.9 and we haven't found one thing yet it wouldn't pull. We have a 15ft glassmagic boat and it pulls it down the road like there isn't anything there. It pulls it out of the water with ease. It also has a 5 sp Manual and we have never had any problems except we replaced the clutch. We had a old concrete porch that we dragged with it. We had a old 77 Ford LTD2 and got it stuck in a rut, that little Ranger pulled it out with hardly no effort. It is also only a 2 wheel drive. So I don't know why you say the 2.9 has no power. Yes, it doesn't seem like much when you compare it with a new 4.0, but what do you expect, it almost double the size.

14th Jun 2002, 08:24

Sounds like you saved your Bronco II from an abusive home. I too have had to replace the five speed in my 1989 XLT. I agree that if anyone plans to buy one they should get an automatic. Besides, automatics are better for off road.

29th Dec 2005, 02:58

Any transmission is subject to go out if not maintained and used for what it designed for.I, myself own a '89 bronco II xlt with a 2.9 v6 and a automatic o/d tran. and have found out that you should service and change your fluid in the tran around 60,000 miles. If not well guess what,the fluid eventually burns up and there goes the tran. Also for the inexperienced tow person or 4x4 Enthusiast don't set the gear selector on o/d when towing or playing on the hills it will also burn up your tran. Other than some electrical ignition problems and your normal maintenance this one little stout truck and would be proud to say id buy another one if needed. oh yeah wanna try some lubricants that last try royal purple they last!

1989 Ford Bronco II XLT 2.9 from North America

Summary:

You'll be lucky to own one

Not much, this summer I replaced the valve cover gaskets and the electric door lock on the driver's side.

Exhaust system will need to be replaced soon.

General Comments:

This to me was a find of a lifetime, a one owner from Denver, always taken cared for and it shows, two tone paint, red-white, that some say I had the truck painted.

Fully loaded and fun to own in both summer and winter. I just love it, and no it's not for sale, when I go it then can go.

Review Date: 10th October, 2001