1995 Ford F150 XLT 4.9 from North America

Summary:

I would buy another 4.9 in a heartbeat

Rear brakes went as soon as I bought it.

Bushings in the front.

Cracked leaf spring from a little off roading.

General Comments:

Strong pulling machine.

It gets decent gas mileage for a truck of that year. Some of my other friend's vehicles have broken down, but my Ford keeps running like a champ. I have put this truck through its paces, and I'm proud to say it passed with flying colors.

Review Date: 31st January, 2011

13th Nov 2011, 18:12

I love my 4.9 F-150!!!

1995 Ford F150 XL 4.9 I6 from North America

Summary:

We can't kill it. Truly built Ford Tough

RUST will be the death of this truck.

Power steering pump - 215,000 miles.

Tailgate.

General Comments:

We originally bought this truck as my company truck for a tree company. When we bought it, we never expected it to outlast the company, and 3 kids learning stick shift on it. We refer to it as Trusty Rusty, because it has always been there when any of our other cars have broken down.

Naturally, it has taken some major wear from different people driving it, and being a work truck for 15 years. This truck has lasted as long, if not longer than many family cars, which have been maintained better. Ford is definitely the American Honda.

Typical Ford rust is what will be the death of this truck. We expected it to die about 4 years ago, but it's still driving fine. The 6 cylinder engine will probably outlast the universe, if maintained properly. This truck has been our best vehicle we've ever owned, and it will be a sad day when (if) it dies.

Review Date: 4th September, 2010

1995 Ford F150 XLT 5.8L V8 from North America

Summary:

I'd recommend it to anybody

All occurred 150000+ miles:

Idler pulley is rubbing on a belt, causing a strange whipping noise.

Antifreeze leak. Needs to be topped off once a month.

Fan caused a hole in antifreeze hose, had to be replaced.

Radio is slowly dying.

Emergency brake line broke and caused premature wear on rear brakes. Cost about $600 to fix.

General Comments:

This is an amazing truck overall. With an extended cab and a long bed, it can haul just about anything, as well as 5 people.

It has the most comfortable front seats I have ever sat in. They mold to your shape and hug you. I love the arm rests; I wish they put them in cars today.

The truck is relatively easy to drive once you get used to it. The power options are great; none have had electrical problems. I'm 5'4, 115 lbs, and can drive the truck easily. It has huge blind spots due to the length, so I prefer looking over my shoulders versus using the mirrors.

It has a poor turning radius, but what can you expect from truck that's longer than most parking spaces? Parking is an issue; it's extremely difficult to fit into tight spaces and back up due to the length. However, parking at the back of the lot gives me exercise.

The cup holders are great and easy to get to.

The paint has held up GREAT!!! It still shines like its brand new! However, it will rust easily. Maybe mine is more rusted than others because it spent four years in Minnesota as an all year vehicle. Our Suburban did the same, but did not rust nearly as much.

I would recommend this truck to anybody; you just have to take care of it and baby it as it gets older. I'm expecting it to survive another 20,000 miles, even with a teenager driving it. I'm giving it to my little brother as a learner car, because I learned to drive in it, and can now drive just about anything.

Review Date: 7th June, 2010

1995 Ford F150 XL 300 ci, 4.9L Inline 6 from North America

Summary:

Reliable and utilitarian vehicle that is a little slow and likes gasoline

Original (Mazda-built) manual transmission stopped working at 133,500 miles.

Once I hit 135,000 miles, many minor things needed replacement: motor mounts, fan clutch, power steering pump, radiator, and thermostat.

General Comments:

Interior (vinyl floor and seats) is very resilient and still is in great shape.

With the 300 it's slower (but it is heavy with the extended cab, long bed and 4 wheel drive), but that's been the only thing that hasn't broken on me. She's a stinking tough motor.

Sometimes I just can't handle the whine of the power steering pump. There are other clunks and shudders you just need to accept when driving an older rig.

You don't really drive it; you persuade it. A bit like riding a whale.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2010