1995 Ford F150 XLT 4.9L inline 6 from North America

Summary:

Great general overall truck!

Replaced rear axle seals at 95k.

Replaced starter at 120k.

Replaced worn motor mounts at 120k.

Replaced clutch and slave cylinder at 122k.

Replaced driver's side torsion rod bushing twice.

General Comments:

Truck looks good with no rust. Ride is a little stiff, but at 122k, that's good as steering and suspension are still solid. As has been previously posted, seats are a bit uncomfortable for long rides, but for day to day, great. Nice looking ride with good lines. This engine is immortal and several Ford mechanics have told me it should last 350k+ if properly cared for. All my repairs have been either preventative, predictive, routine, or as a result of enough miles and age that they were reasonably expected. I can't complain about this truck's reliability at all. No car lasts forever.

Review Date: 17th February, 2008

1995 Ford F150 XLT 4.9L INLINE 6 CYLINDER from North America

Summary:

Indestructable

Oil pan gasket when I bought the truck, $90.

Fuel pump went out at 190,000.

Pick Up coil in distributor went out at 175,000.

Front brakes at 195,000.

Clutch, pressure plate, etc, at 215,000.

Thermostat at 150,000.

Starter at 205,000.

General Comments:

This truck is by far the toughest, most dependable vehicle I've ever owned. As you can see from the list of faults, none of them are major and most lasted longer than expected to. This truck has been used and abused to the extreme, and still fires up first time, every time. It has been a road warrior, a satellite installers vehicle, pulled many other vehicles home on trailers. It has been sunk in a creek (flooded over the tranny hump) and ran for over an hour until we unstuck it, then drowned it out in the same creek and recranked under water. Doesn't use any fluids to this day, except a large amount of gas. Air still blows snowballs, and all accessories still work, and this truck still looks GOOD! It's had 8.5in wheels as long as I've owned it, and still handles good. I did tighten up the steering box at about 210,000. It still turns on a dime and gives you change. Nothing more comfortable than the 40/40/20 buckets in this truck. I have people try to buy this truck from me nearly everywhere I go. I have family members waiting in line to buy it. It would take a lot more money than it's worth to get me to let go of this ole gal. When they say built Ford tough, they mean it.

Review Date: 16th December, 2007

10th Jan 2008, 16:27

I agree, I have a 96 XLT with the 4.9... I really love the truck. It's 13 years old, and has never seen the inside of a warm garage, and I still get compliments about the overall look of the truck.

It handles well on the road (it's no Cadillac), the steering is fairly responsive, and is effortless.

The engine is a beast... not very quick, but it's not bad by any means. The torque drives me crazy (absolute tank), but at 150 hp, it could use a bump up in that (for acceleration).. (exhaust, cold air intake, and performance chip)... and it'll be rocket ship.

Hauling crap in the bed is impressive... you can barely feel the load.

Over all, it's a REAL TRUCK, which you don't see much of any more.

Buy the truck and service it like you should, and she'll have no problem surpassing 300,000 miles.

28th Jun 2009, 12:32

Horrible gas mileage though.

1995 Ford F150 XLT 5.0 302 V8 from North America

Summary:

Dependable, long-lasting, gas-guzzling dog

Ball Joints at 145K and again at 180K.

Front brakes wore out twice, but the rear drum-brakes have never needed service as long as I've owned the truck.

Manual trans shifter has a minor problem with an semi-internal bushing... shifter is very loose.

Driver side electric window motor burnt out at 170K.

Steering has a lot of play.

New front gas tank at 165K. (Top seal leaked).

Clutch parts has needed service 3 times:

Clutch Slave cylinder at 135K.

Clutch Master Cylinder at 155K.

Clutch Master Cylinder at 170K.

Idler pulley squeals in cold weather even after replacement.

Idle-Air Control Motor needed replacement at about 155K. This was cheap and easy to fix at home at about $18. You'll know it's this part that needs fixing because you will experience a poor engine idle, leading eventually to stalling out.

General Comments:

It's been an amazingly good buy. I paid $5000 for it in 2002, and now I'm thinking about selling it for $3000 because now I live in a big city where a truck is inconvenient to park.

Over the last 5 years I've beat this truck senseless. It's a 2WD, but I have taken it on two-track trails through Michigan's Upper Peninsula many times. My Ford has refused to die even after I have repeatedly tried to kill it. The shocks and springs should be completely smashed after my abuse, but the suspension has never needed any service at all.

I go to the same mechanic all the time, and do my own basic maintenance at home.

If you do a little bit of inexpensive preventative maintenance your truck will be tip-top right through 200,000 miles.

It's a gas hog, though, I must admit. I guess that's why it has two tanks.

It burns one quart of oil each oil change... nothing out of the ordinary.

It has never leaked any fluids at all. The oil seals have always been tight.

Nothing beyond normal wear and tear. This truck has never needed huge, expensive, major-engine repairs.

I must say, however, that at high miles, this truck is a dog. Climbing hills, you lag behind soccer moms and small cars. The acceleration is terrible, but the towing capacity is great.

I have lived in the harsh Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where winter beats on cars horribly. This truck has handled each winter amazingly. It's 2WD, and all you need is a few sandbags in the back to get going through the deep snow (even on hills).

Review Date: 10th December, 2007