2005 Ford Focus 4DR SEDAN from North America

Summary:

Excellent, very efficient means of transport

In the summer when it's over 80* if I let the gas tank get below half the car will stall, and act like it's not getting any gas. Evidently the fuel pump needs to be kept cooled by the amount of gas in the tank, and if there isn't at least half a tank the fuel pump will not work. It's frustrating, as I spent over $200 replacing a fuel pump because I thought it was defective, but come to find out this is just a funky way this car is. I also have had to replace a number of fuses lately.

Review Date: 7th July, 2010

7th Jul 2010, 14:48

"Evidently the fuel pump needs to be kept cooled by the amount of gas in the tank, and if there isn't at least half a tank the fuel pump will not work."

Who told you that? I used to own a Ford Focus (a 2004) and it didn't matter what temperature it was or how much gas it had, the fuel pump never had an issue. Something else is wrong with your car. If it was a repair shop that told you that one, I recommend you find a new one.

7th Jul 2010, 20:48

I have recently experienced the same problem with my 2005 Ford Focus. And yes, the fuel pump is the culprit. If the gas tank is kept above half, the car functions normally. When it gets to below half, and especially when it gets down to a quarter of a tank, it acts like there is water in the fuel line, and it will lose power and the engine will shut down completely, until the fuel pump cools off. So, either trade the car in on one that doesn't have this problem, or keep the gas tank above the half mark.

2005 Ford Focus ZX5 1.7L from North America

Summary:

Fun car to drive!

Great car to drive! Fully equipped, heated mirrors and seats, sunroof and A/C for summer, mags and loving the color!

Has cruise control, and so far on an eighth of a full tank I did 100 kilometers! $45 to fill my tank (price at 1$/per litre) will easily last me two weeks on a full tank!

General Comments:

Fun car to drive, dealer sucked though, said they would "clean" it and "prepare" it for me; spent a day cleaning the interior and another afternoon washing it...

Seats are comfy. So far nothing bad to say about the car, basically I love it!

Review Date: 23rd May, 2010

2005 Ford Focus ST 2.3 from North America

Summary:

Nice balance - reliable, economical, peppy, and fun to drive

Drivers door stopped unlocking with the remote entry for about a year, but then started working again. Hard to shift into reverse in cold weather.

Other than that, ZERO problems.

General Comments:

This little car can move with the 2.3 engine in a small body. Lots of torque, and pep. Great stereo & speakers requiring no upgrade from me.

I didn't care for the stock sport muffler noise, & the engine is pretty loud.

The car has been very reliable for me so far. I do mostly city driving, which is lots of wear & tear, and at 74,000 miles it still drives like it did when I got it at 27,000 miles.

Gas mileage is 27 city/34 highway, which is great for a car with this quickness.

This is my second Focus. I liked the 2000 model enough to buy the ST, because of the bigger engine and it being fully loaded.

Review Date: 6th December, 2009

2005 Ford Focus SE 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Reliable car

U joints at 30,000 miles.

Transmission at 75,000 miles (replaced under extended warranty).

Center console broke off at 50,000 miles.

Passenger side back door lock broke at 50,000 miles.

Driver side back door handle broke at 80,000 miles.

Driver side door lock broke at 80,000 miles.

Trunk doesn't open right.

Constantly going through tires.

General Comments:

For all the problems I have had with the car, I have to still say it's a good car for what we do with it. My wife delivers pizza for a living, and we put about 1500 miles a month on the car.

The car is very quick for a 4 cyl. I never have any problems passing on the highway.

The seats are comfortable, but they show everything so I have seat covers on them.

The factory radio is great on the car, and I love the radio controls next to the steering wheel.

Review Date: 30th May, 2009