2005 Ford Focus Edge 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Superb car to drive

Wing mirror paint has started to flake and peel.

Alloy wheel paint has lost its lacquer. I think it could be a case of a poor respray from where I bought it from, rather than a Ford issue.

General Comments:

The focus is really perky, especially as it is only a 1.8. You need to get it upto 3500rpm before the power band is hit, otherwise it fails to pull away effectively when overtaking.

The seats are still hard but really comfortable. The seats allow for the perfect ride position, and with the added feature of adjustable steering wheel height, it just makes you feel at home.

It can be a bit thirsty, especially when using the Air Con. However, when I have been used to a Saxo that will do almost 50mpg, anything will seem poor, although it does 260 miles to £32 of petrol.

Review Date: 10th September, 2008

2005 Ford Focus ses 2.0 from North America

Summary:

05 and up focus great cars

Biggest problem with this car it wears out right rear tires like crazy. We have had different brands of tires put on, four wheel alignments, multiple tire balances, etc.

Nothing has helped. Our next set of tires I'm going to put new rear shocks on at the same time and see if this makes a difference. This model year was the Mazda engines first time in the focus and it has performed flawlessly. It has plenty of power (140hp) get close to 40mpg highway, the ac is still ice cold. Still have original brakes, belts, hoses, etc.The alternator went bad at about 55000 miles, which I replaced myself for under $130.Overall a great car.

Review Date: 6th September, 2008

7th Sep 2008, 16:59

Your problem HAS to be the rear wheel alignment. Nothing else will wear out your tires that way... NOTHING. You are obviously getting a run-around on this. I'm a mechanic and I'm very familiar with Ford service departments NOT doing what needs to be done. Unfortunately you are probably out of your warranty period now. Lots of other shops, such as tire chain stores will also do NOTHING, charge you for it and then claim "Oh, it must be something else." No, it isn't. It's an improper angle on the rear tire and a GOOD shop should be able to find and fix it.

Ask car enthusiasts in your area for a referral to a GOOD shop that will not just pretend to do something and give you a bill for it.

I encountered a very similar problem with a Japanese import I had several years ago and finally found a shop that solved the problem. Keep looking. You have a great little car. I had an '01 ZX-3 and it was flawless.

2005 Ford Focus S 2.3L Duratec from North America

Summary:

A great little car

Not one single thing went wrong with this car.

General Comments:

This was a very fun car to drive. It had terrific pep, and achieved excellent fuel economy - 35 MPG on the highway. This particular car lacked cruise control, so was a bit tedious on very long trips. The steering wheel did not telescope so arms were stretched a bit too straight in order to facilitate a comfortable leg position. All-around a great little car.

Review Date: 1st May, 2008

2005 Ford Focus ZX5 SES 2.0 Duratec from North America

Summary:

Surprisingly pleasurable car to own and drive

Actually - nothing.

General Comments:

This car took some time to get used to. My previous car, a 2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4motion wagon, was a wonderful car, but I needed something smaller, cheaper and more efficient. I was leaning toward a one-year old Golf TDI when I saw this nice looking Focus 5 door hatchback on the lot.

Curiosity killed the cat (but for awhile I was suspect) and I drove the Focus. This car feels very European - solid, stable and agile. It is comfortable much the same way European cars are - good mixed feeling of car, road, seat. You feel the bumps, but aren't typically tossed around by them.

The more I drive this car, the more confident I become with its handling capabilities. For a stout looking, small economy car - this thing handles incredibly. I'm not, as a general rule, fond of Pirelli tires because I'm nervous of the way they handle inclement weather, but they work on this car in dry, driving conditions. You can really throw this little guy around!

The 136hp engine is peppy, at least mated to the 5spd gearbox as mine is. Many people seem to "wishing" for more power, but, frankly, I think this car moves quite well and the manual allows me to keep the car in its optimal power band for passing, climbing, etc.

Braking is sure-footed and confident - although I would have preferred to see 4 wheel discs instead of the old disc/drum set-up.

The manual tranny shifts nicely, although I found the clutch a little light and sensitive at first.

The car is nicely equipped with most power options and mine has a Canadian winter package which adds heated seats and mirrors - a nice touch on an economy car. I hate the little steering wheel stalk which operates the stereo - it is already very close at hand and this just seems to be a little overkill.

I love the seats - they don't feel at all like the seats in most North American cars. They are supportive and firm and chair-like. The non-power adjustments are adequate and, coupled with the tilt/telescoping steering wheel, it is easy to find a good driving position. The materials used on the interior feel of comparable quality to those of my Passat.

I seem to averaging 35 mpg through careful, speed limit observing driving. I keep the car in top-notch repair and routinely check tire pressure, oil levels, coolant, air filters, etc. My driving mix is about 60/40 highway/city so I'm yielding above-acceptable mileage, but I would hope that a little more highway driving would push the mileage numbers up closer to 40 mpg. In short, I couldn't be happier with the extremely frugal fuel consumption of my car.

Most of all, after almost a year of ownership, this car has proven to be reliable and trustworthy. Typically, I try to keep my cars for about 10 years (with the exception of the Passat) and I hopeful this car will prove durable enough to stand that test. I will add that, as a rule, I would never buy a used car because I don't trust other drivers normally (most people simply do not take proper care of their vehicles) but I took a chance and so far, so good.

Review Date: 7th March, 2008