2002 Ford Mondeo TDCI Zetec 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Good and bad, I remain undecided

Injectors needed replacing one by one starting at 64k. They went all within a month.

Water pump replaced at 60K.

Front Suspension arms on first MOT.

Water leaking in from rear door seals. (Not fixed yet).

Heavy tyre wear on front making tyres last not much more than 10k.

General Comments:

Not a bad car to drive for a four door saloon. Modern diesel engine is powerful, fairly quite and more refined. Gearbox is smooth and changes nicely. Probably more of a drivers car than rivals.

Comfort wise the car is good although I think it would be better without the 18" alloys. The dashboard looks well equipped, but does feel a bit cheaper than the earlier Mondeo.

Reliability and build quality doesn't appear to match up to German rivals. Injectors are very pricey when they go wrong.

Service costs were higher than expected.

My friends who currently own Fords are very impressed with this car. I like the car, but I am not sure if I would buy another.

Review Date: 26th March, 2007

2002 Ford Mondeo Zetec-S 2.0L TDCI 130 from UK and Ireland

Cheap to run, reliable and it look great - 9/10

Heated front screen failed.

Dashboard lights flicker due to loose wires.

Rear right suspension making horrid noise.

General Comments:

Going on the reputation of the Mondeo, I opted for a TDCI 130 engine because I wanted a bit of fizz with good economy.

Handling is good, although in the wet the front end is a bit loose and the wheel have a tendency to spin if you floor it.

The beige interior is a bit 'different' (the words 'old' and 'man' came out of my mates' mouths) but the seats are comfy and for long trips they don't cripple you.

The stereo stalk on the steering wheel column is poorly placed if you have long legs (I'm 6' 3") but legroom is good and the adjustable driver's seat will suit most shapes and sizes.

The electrics are well placed and the dash and controls are well-placed and very tactile.

The heated front screen is a godsend in the cold (when it works) and visibility out of the front and side is good, although the rear quarter on the hatchback does obscure rear vision a bit.

On long journeys I'm getting about 45mpg and around town it's a reasonable 35mpg for such a good car- much better than my previous Vectra SRi.

The boot is enormous and rear legroom is superb.

Mine has the massive 18" wheels that do kerb easy (watch turning into the kerb) but they look great and it looks nearly as good as an ST220 with its big front and rear bumpers.

The exhaust sheared off after a day, but the dealer (Shepshed Ford) replaced it in 10 minutes, even though it wasn't officially covered by the warranty.

The rear suspension is making a funny noise, as if it's bottoming out on the bump stop, something that's made even more annoying because the suspension on the Zetec-S is hard - watch those speed bumps and potholes!!

All in all, I like this car and am pleased that Mr brown isn't getting too much of my hard-earned every time I fill up... an ST version is definitely my next buy!!

Review Date: 29th January, 2007

31st Jan 2007, 00:22

That's poor economy for a diesel, my Celica used to do better than that!

2002 Ford Mondeo Ghia TDCi 2.0 TDCi 130 from UK and Ireland

A better drive than you'd think, but if it pops an injector you'll wish you'd never seen it!

Injector no. 2 replaced at 68000 miles at a cost of £387.

Injector no. 1 replaced at 70500 miles at a cost of £354.

Handbrake cable replaced at 71000 miles at a cost of £49.

Button in binnacle for resetting trip computer very 'iffy' - needs to be pushed 'just right' for it to work.

General Comments:

When the car is working it's awesome, the power delivery from the TDCi engine is fantastic, making for easy motorway entry and overtaking on all roads.

It's also quiet and refined so you can talk to your passengers at speed without too much intrusive road or tyre noise, although wind noise around the rear windows at 70mph or above is a bit high.

Round the twisty bits the car handles well, although mine didn't seem too keen on wet roundabouts! Perhaps I was a little overconfident as I was having too much fun! I would have to say that my previous car (2004 Vectra 1.8 Club) did handle better though - it just felt tighter somehow.

The seats are very comfortable and supportive, the cabin quality is good and the 6 CD changer gives excellent sound quality.

Mine blew 2 injectors in 8 weeks. These are extremely expensive parts and only Ford have the necessary software to calibrate them, a license to print money if ever I saw one!

When taken to Ford, the answer was 'it's just failed, it's one of those things'. Where would garages be without 'one of those things'? A catch-all statement to cover anything they can't or won't explain! Try as I might I couldn't get them to give me a reason for the failure.

I'd definitely recommend the driving experience, but I'd never ever buy another Ford diesel without a manufacturer warranty - the risk of injector failure is a gamble too far for me!

Review Date: 2nd October, 2006

18th Feb 2007, 16:13

Mate the Mondeos are brilliant at handling, whereas the Vectras are dreadful. The chassis on them is one of the worst. If you have watched Top Gear with them on you would know, so no your Vectra is not as good at handling.

17th Oct 2007, 15:11

I'm sorry, but the above comments are not totally true. Yes the Mondeo is a sharper drive,. But the Vectra grips just as well and does without the fords crashy cheap feeling suspension. Its also a lot quieter and feels much more expensive. Just feel the fords light weight doors and look at that cheap headlining. Look in the taxi ranks and see what you find. Yes the early Vectra had is faults. But after 160,000 the Ford's ready for the bin, and the Vectra can do double that!