2002 Ford Mondeo LX 1.8 petrol 110PS from UK and Ireland

I am impressed!

Nothing yet...

General Comments:

This car replaces http://www.carsurvey.org/review_24034.html

I have not yet had it for a week, but I can tell already, I am impressed. It is smooth, quiet, comfortable, heavy, solid, and big. All of these factors are important to me in a car. It is slightly (noticeably) slower than my Saab 900 was, but I am in my 40s now, so 0-60 is not an issue. You will see from my Saab review, that I lean towards European (not American) cars. As far as the Mondeo is concerned, I think it is fair to say it is a European car, even if Ford's fatherland is the U.S.

Anyway; for now, I am very happy with my decision... I will throw in a few updates over the coming few years, like I did with the SAAB.

I love the 'retro' interior styling, no fuss non-hi-tech controls on the dash, the simple but good stereo, and the Aluminium trim on the steering wheel and gear change lever. And the clock ;- Art!

The interior look and feel of this car is how it sold itself to me.

My sister in-law's Toyota Avensis is like a rocket-scientist's microwave oven in comparison (unnecessarily complicated); unappealing.

P.s. I am still on my first tank of petrol... looking good!.

Review Date: 3rd April, 2006

25th Oct 2006, 04:29

Where will I start.

I have scratched it 3 times. I have had a rear wheel blowout. The reverse lights have failed. The engine makes a rattle noise when at low revs.

In a word, I have had enough of this car. My problem now is, how do I get even close to the amount I paid for it back so that I can replace it with something a bit less ford.

Any suggestions?

2002 Ford Mondeo LX 2.0 TDdi from UK and Ireland

Great family cruiser

Electrical driver seat height adjustment failed. Fixed under warranty.

General Comments:

This is a fantastic family car. Must be one of the best value second hand buys due to the rapid depreciation from new. My last car was a basic Skoda Octavia (1.6 LX). That car cost me £1000 more to buy and was 3 months older when I bought it than the Mondeo was. The Mondeo is very highly specced and has a much better finished cabin and more powerful and economical engine. Makes like Skoda might make good value sense bought brand new, but I think Ford is hard to beat second hand.

Review Date: 16th January, 2006

10th Feb 2006, 08:39

I would have just one negative comment about the Mondeo. For a modern diesel, the fuel economy is not great. About 40-45mpg. I would really expect 50+mpg.

31st Jul 2006, 13:12

I have the same model... I have just done 160 miles today (motorway, A and B roads) car weighing 2+ tons (passengers, tank of diesel, cars weight...) and it used about 17 litres of fuel... can't complain, it does about 38 a gallon in town, but I do have a slightly heavy right foot!

1st Oct 2007, 08:41

I wrote the above review shortly after buying this car. Now almost two years on and 40K miles, I am just trading it in against another Mondeo (2006 TDCi Edge). The car has given me very good service, requiring nothing other than replacement of tyres and a couple of light bulbs. I still stand by everything I wrote when I was new to the car. Fuel economy is OK, but not great for a diesel.

2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 zetec petrol from UK and Ireland

Better quality control would make difference

Rear bushes on A frame.

General Comments:

Good car, but some annoying things.

Seat belt chimes really annoy

Stupid remote locking, press once to open front doors, twice to open back doors, sounds easy, but over time will do your head in.

No room for handbrake use.

Review Date: 10th January, 2006

10th Feb 2006, 08:41

You can change the remote locking thing that you do not like. Simply press and hold the lock and unlock buttons together untill the indicators flash. You will then find that unlock unlocks all doors with one push. To reverse just do the same again.

6th Mar 2006, 08:08

That's great, thank you.

Now does anyone know how to disable the seat belt chimes? the mirez one does not work for me.

1st Mar 2008, 19:47