2002 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi 2.0 from UK and Ireland

New flywheel

New Clutch

Front brakes

Air com furred up.

General Comments:

All I can say is I am sorry I set eyes on this car. My Accord was written off whilst parked so I was desperate for a car. A trader friend of mine recommended the Mondeo as a brilliant car. I was slightly apprehensive through previous ownership of a Granada and Sierra, both were money pits. I took the plunge and went for a 2002 TDCi.

Really things just went from bad to worst. The car was unreliable from the start and I hated driving it. I always had that feeling, 'will it get me there?', 'what was that noise', 'quick avoid any bumps of the suspension will fall apart again'.

I had to park it in a certain direction on the driveway because the back doors leaked and flooded the compartment. The diesel engine was rubbish, kept stinking of fuel due to it popping injectors. Fuel economy was woeful, but probably down to faults. My family wouldn't ride in it as the smell of diesel coupled with a furred up air con made them feel sick. I had to ride round with the windows open to try and dry it out. It spent a month in the workshop having the flywheel rebuilt and injectors replaced.

It was a victim of a break in one night when the alarm decided to fail, unfortunately even the crooks wouldn't take it. It also depreciated like a stone so I had done my entire purchase price in repairs and loss of value in 12 months.

Couldn't bring myself to sell it on privately so I took the plunge and whacked it through an auction. Lost a fortune, but I have now purchased a beautiful Primera in exchange. Totally happy with this car some 3 months on.

Review Date: 6th May, 2007

24th May 2007, 04:28

Sounds like you picked up an ex-taxi or it had been the subject of an insurance write-off. Never deal in a rush.

29th May 2007, 05:43

Sorry to hear about your problems, but one word for your car - lemon. I've had Mondeo's a lot older and with higher mileage and have never had to replace a clutch, etc. Also tyres at 6k??? I think your car also had suspension problems...again, problems it shouldn't have had at that age and mileage.

2002 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCI 130BHP from UK and Ireland

This car has proved unsafe

A week after purchase in December 2005 the car lost power whilst driving on the M5 in the outside lane and I was luckily able to get into the inside lane on reduced power. Could have been a dangerous manoeuver had I been beside a group of lorries. Had to be towed to my destination. Fault: recalibration of diesel jets.

On 19 April 2007 engine completely cut out on a busy single carriage road and I was fortunate that vehicle behind was able to stop. Had to be towed to garage. Fault: camshaft sensor and wire assembly.

General Comments:

I cannot risk keeping this car in case such incidents occur again resulting in a serious accident. I have owned many cars in over 40 years of driving and none have ever had an engine that has just cut out without any warning.

On the plus side the car is comfortable to drive, handles well and has plenty of power.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2007

30th Apr 2007, 12:14

Welcome to modern diesels. The price for all that refinement and power is unbelievable complexity and patchy reliability due to technology that is still really in its infancy. Petrol injection was the same when it was launched, and common rail diesel injection is no different. It works on the same principle as petrol injection, but with unbelievable pressures and tolerances.

Old diesels were noisy, rattly and slow, but it took a minor explosion to stop them working.

16th Dec 2007, 08:13

Your petrol engined car won't climb up to 300 thousand miles plus, will it? (Unless it an old merc 6 or 8 cylinder.)

17th Dec 2007, 01:58

"Your petrol engined car won't climb up to 300 thousand miles plus"

Neither will a modern diesel!

17th Dec 2007, 02:21

And your diesel will not unless you spend lots of money fixing the fuel delivery system etc.