2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 from Australia and New Zealand

Door locks failed repeatedly. Stupidly expensive.

Previous poor repair to fuel tank pick up by dealer: hacked floor.

Suspension now "wobbly"; unsure of cause. Previously fine handling vehicle. Shocks? Suspension bushings?

Air conditioning compressor failure repair. Also stupidly expensive = to 1/4 value of car!

General Comments:

Generally a very good car (and I have driven many). Minor niggles so far re parts and repair costs.

Biggest driving grizzle is rear vision in reversing and lane changing. All the safety requirements seems to compromise rear vision. Takes some getting used to.

These are very nice to drive cars, far better than one might think. However, the front suspension control on loose surfaces is complete rubbish (really useless on gravel). I have no idea how the 3.0 cars work at all.

Could do with some more power.

Review Date: 11th November, 2010

18th Nov 2015, 03:31

Update to my previous review.

Rear shocks replaced, partly fixed rear end.

Unable to lock car due to alarm always going off (yes, all sensors etc checked).

Fuel pump failed in supermarket. Stupidly expensive so used a 2nd hand one.

New coil pack and leads to fix misfire $$$.

Removed silly butterflies in the intake. However they weren't worn or broken like the horror stories on the net...

Finally, the clutch and dual mass flywheel failed.

Is it worth fixing? Very likely not, but can't find another wagon about that size that is a manual and isn't a Subaru.

2002 Ford Mondeo LX 2.0 TDDi from UK and Ireland

So far so good

General Comments:

I just bought my Mondeo recently and so far so good. I studied up on both the TDDi and TDCi models, and decided to go with the TDCi model... so I thought!

As I was looking up the difference between the two engines, I heard a lot about the TDCi's popping injectors, which are extremely expensive. But after the getting the low down on the TDCi, I said I would give it a try as it had better consumption, power and so on compared to the TDDi.

Went to look at one in Limerick, and I liked it, so I bought it. I presumed that it had the TDCi engine as it was an 02, only to find a week later by a friend it had the TDDi engine!!

As other people have said on other reviews that it's dated and old, but I'm finding it quite alright.. don't get me wrong, it is a bit loud when idling compared to the TDCi, but it doesn't really bother me as I was expecting a diesel car to be loud.

As for power, it's slow through the gears if you're planning a drag race, but it has plenty of power if you try to pass something when cruising around 50 mph.

On a plus side, it doesn't have a timing belt, so you don't have to worry about it snapping on you; instead it has a chain, which can be tightened. Also, you don't worry about popping an injector, which is a lot more common in the TDCi.

Anyway, so far so good. I wouldn't put anyone of buying it. I've had no problems yet, so hopefully it stays that way... ha hope this helped someone..

Review Date: 9th June, 2010

27th Nov 2011, 16:00

Hell, I have just bought a 2002 Ford Mondeo. It's the TDCi LX model, and I don't know much about cars, but do you pop the injectors by driving the car too hard, or if you are a good and responsible driver, would you have as much chance of it happening to you eg. not speeding and changing gears when you are meant to, instead of always red lining it?

2002 Ford Mondeo Zetec 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Excellent all rounder

A spring on rear suspension snapped at approx 56000 miles, and cost £80 to replace. Apart from that it has passed every MOT with flying colours.

General Comments:

This car has been an excellent work horse for me, with good comfort, ride and reliability.

However the engine can be a tad noisy at higher revs/speeds.

Review Date: 31st December, 2009