2002 Ford Mondeo Reviews

Year of manufacture2002
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 2.0 Duratec Manual
Previous carNissan Pulsar

Summary:

Reliable, reassuring, a trusted friend

Clutch:

Clutch needed replacing at 180,000 km, only after I towed an overloaded trailer up a steep driveway. Was still the original clutch, although the design with a dual flywheel meant it cost NZD 3,500 at a Ford dealer to replace.

Air conditioning:

The air conditioning on some days seems to go back and forth from cold to hot, and takes a very long time to cool the car down on hot days.

Water ingress:

Torrential rain on two occasions have overloaded the drainage points (subsequently discovered they were blocked with leaves). That causes flooding in foot wells from water entering through the air vents.

Air vent:

The open/close control for one of the dash mounted air vents over travelled and has become stuck open. $150 quote to replace/repair it - I can live with it stuck open.

General Comments:

Very reliable, with only annual servicing required.

Handling is precise, firm and reassuring, especially on narrow winding coastal roads.

Cabin and upholstery still feels modern despite being ten years old, and the seats have survived all the kids can throw at them in this time.

As with all cars, I wish things such as autumn leaves settling around the air vents and under the bonnet below the window wipers would be factored into the design, to minimise the chance of them clogging drainage holes.

Review Date: 2nd February, 2012

2002 Ford Mondeo TDDI 115 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2002
Engine and transmission 115 turbo diesel Manual
Previous carFord Mondeo

Summary:

Mediocre when it's not breaking down

Clutch and DMF.

Suspension coils.

Exhaust fallen off.

Heater.

Lots more.

General Comments:

This is my fourth Ford, I have had three previous Mondeo's, all diesel, and a Focus. My girlfriend had a KA, and to say the least they have all been unreliable.

When I bought the Focus, it needed a thousand pounds spending on it, and it still broke down twice before I got rid.

Mondeo 1 (Alternator and Clutch DMF) = £1000

With 80,000 on the clock, sold at 100,000. 2002 TDDI.

Mondeo 2 (Alternator and Clutch and DMF and Injector) Pretty much traded it in for scrap, 108,000 on the clock - sold at 120,000. 2003 TDCI.

Mondeo 3 (Alternator went yesterday, stereo and all the list of the above have gone wrong).

Bought at 130,000, now done 160,000. 2002 52 TDDI.

First couple of times, I thought oh I have just bought a lemon, or the last owner must have thrashed it. But there is a common theme, the same problems go wrong, and they are not that good to drive at all. I have a backup car (also called my girlfriend's car hehe) which is an 02 2.2 SRi 150 Vectra. Yeah, the inside looks like it has been built with Lego. But I have had it since 70,000 miles (now on 140,000), and never had a problem.

I will never buy a Ford again, Mondeo's are cheaper than the rest for a reason. I have researched and fixed most of the problems myself (due to money), and it turns out most of the problems above are common issues.

I wouldn't mind if it wasn't so expensive, if it was a known belt issue or something cheap to fix, I would be fine with that. But I have spent more money fixing Ford's than I have buying Fords; it astounds me how Ford can release cars knowing they have these sort of problems.

Well good riddance to bad news.

Review Date: 26th November, 2010

4th Dec 2010, 09:44

2003 Mondeo TDCi 130, my company car from new. Bought off the lease company at 3 years old, still have it now. 160k. One injector recalibration and a MAF sensor. Still goes well, very reliable etc. Even with 160k on it, it drives better than a Vectra would have when brand new. Serviced once a year, and that's pretty much it.

Had an old mk2 TD that wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, but I punted it on at 140k to a minicab firm who are still using it now with 300,000 miles on it. Still on the original engine (second gearbox though).

You can't buy a 130,000 mile car with no idea of how it has been treated or driven, then complain when it goes wrong. Also, if you have such repeated lousy experiences with Fords, why keep buying them?

13th Dec 2010, 11:53

As the original reviewer, in response to your comment.

Good for you, but just look around. A lot of people are not that lucky.

I won't buy one ever again.

I think your completely wrong about the Vectra, the Mondeo is a crashy, wallowy thing.

Everyone is a critic. This is written to share my experience of owning Fords. If you want to praise them, write your own review.